It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WMD Threat Could Spark American Nuclear Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
A revised 'nuclear operations' doctrine is to be signed in the next few weeks. This doctrine would allow pre-emptive nuclear strikes against enemies thought to be developing WMDs. The main targets of these strikes would be terrorist groups and stockpiles of biochemical weapons. This all happening after intelligence shows Iran continues to process uranium at their Isfahan reactor site.

www.timesonline.co.uk
A PRESIDENT of the United States would be able to launch pre-emptive nuclear strikes against enemies planning to use weapons of mass destruction under a revised “nuclear operations” doctrine to be signed in the next few weeks.
In a significant shift after half a century of nuclear deterrence based on the threat of massive retaliation, the revised doctrine would allow pre-emptive strikes against states or terror groups, and to destroy chemical and biological weapons stockpiles.

Presidential approval would still be required for any nuclear strike, but the updated document, the existence of which was confirmed by the Pentagon at the weekend, emphasises the need for the US to adapt to a world of worsening proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in which deterrence might fail. In that event, it states, “the United States must be prepared to use nuclear weapons if necessary”.

It came to light as Iran insisted, in defiance of the European Union, that it would continue processing uranium at its Isfahan reactor. The US has called on the UN Security Council to impose sanctions on Tehran for failing to shelve its nuclear programme.

Referring repeatedly to “non-state actors” — parlance for terrorists — the doctrine is designed to arm the White House and US forces with a new range of threats and sanctions to counter the situation of threatened nuclear attack by al-Qaeda or one of its affiliates.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this frightening. The idea of itchy trigger fingers having easier access to the shiny red button is enough to make me start practicing my head-to-knees tuck drill(aka the kissing @$$ goodbye drill). I believe that this is just a way for our government to threaten back when they are threatened by a nuclear terrorist attack. I just don't understand why it has to come to this, ex CIA analysts say that Iran won't have nuclear capabilities for at least another 10 years.

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.timesonline.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran Cought in a Nuclear Lie....

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
This story actually already was posted a few days ago and can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

join