It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green/Black mamba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Physical Description:

Eastern green mambas are the smalles of the mambas. Green mambas reach an average of length of 1.8 meters, with a maximum length of up to 3.7 meters. The body is slender and bright green, with scales laid like paving stones against darker skin. The dorsal scales are darker than the scales on the belly.
General Information:

These beautiful fast-moving snakes are highly venomous, but less aggressive than black mambas. Mambas are elapids, with short front fangs and the venom is primarily neurotoxic. Digestion of prey is also aided by the venom
www.ryanphotographic.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

The mamba is the dreaded snake species of Africa. Treat it with great respect. It is considered one of the most dangerous snakes known. Not only is it highly venomous but it is aggressive and its victim has little chance to escape from a bite. Its venom is highly neurotoxic.

Can you see jow smart these snakes are just by looking in thier eyes.

www.whozoo.org...

Now for the killer of killers, this snake cares about nothing, get with 75 feet of one and not know it you could be dead.
His venom isnt the strongest, but is by far the most deadly snake.
The Black Mamba is the most deadly snake in the world. They grow 14 feet in length, and can travel at speeds of up to 12 mph. They have a head shaped like a coffin. The Black Mamba is not actually black. They have a brownish-gray body with a light belly and brownish scales along its back. It gets its name from the color of the lining of its mouth, which is purple-black, and which it displays when threatened.

The black mamba is a long, dangerous snake from central and southern Africa.

It will take readily to the trees, and can move faster than any other snake

through thick undergrowth or over open ground.

Agile and nervous, it can strike accurately at prey even when moving fast.

What's the fastest snake in the world?
The deadly black mamba of eastern Africa can cruise at a speed up to 7 miles per hour (11.27 kilometers per hour) in short bursts. That's fast enough to catch up to a human on foot.

How toxic is it?
As little as two drops of venom can kill a person and a mamba can have up to 20 drops of venom in its fangs.
What's in it?
Black mamba venom contains neurotoxins and cardiotoxins. Neurotoxins cause damage to the nervous system, such as parts of the brain controlling motor functions, while cardiotoxins attack the heart.

What are its effects?
If you are unfortunate enough to be bitten by a black mamba, you are likely to experience the following side effects:

Slight local swelling and/or pain, described as burning;

Drooping or heavy eyelids;

Loss of control of tongue or jaw;

Slurred speech;

Mental confusion;

Blurred vision and dilated pupils;

Paralysis of all muscle groups;

Loss of tendon reflex;

Drowsiness;

Respiratory distress.
The bite is life-threatening if these symptoms appear within an hour of the bite. Failing lungs, convulsions and coma precede death.
animal.discovery.com...

The Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polyepis) is one of Africa’s most feared and respected snakes, evoking reactions of fear, respect and awe often by its mere mention.

It has been described as amazingly fast, super-intelligent and shrewd, and magical abilities have been attributed to it, adding to the myth and mystery surrounding the species.

If still threatened it will bite in several quick strikes. The biggest danger for man is when he attempts to kill the Black Mamba. “It will defend itself to the maximum,”
www.kruger2canyons.com...

The Black Mamba is named not for it's skin colour, but because the inside of the mouth is black. This snake mainly lives in termite mounds, mammal burrows and rock outcrops. It normally attempts to escape when approached, but if cornered will bite readily and often.

This snake can lift two-thirds of it's body off the ground when striking. Author was present when a black mamba struck against a closed window when driven over by a car

The Black Mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis) is perhaps the most feared and most notorious snake in southern Africa. Unlike its counterpart, the green mamba, which has never been found in the Park, it is widespread and common throughout the area. Despite the common name this mamba is never black, but generally grayish-brown above with a grayish-white belly. Adults more than four meters long have been recorded, but these were exceptional and a three-meter length is more common.

The black mamba is one of the few snakes which are instinctively aggressive and will not hesitate to strike. Nevertheless, when disturbed and if given the opportunity, it will prefer to retreat to its lair.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
WOW, I didn't realized the Green Mamba was so beautiful.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by kinglizard]

[edit on 13-9-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That was a great read, Mr. Cobra.
I have to agree with Kinglizard, the green mamba is one beautiful animal.
Both species look even better when admired from a distance, I suppose..!

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
That was a great read, Mr. Cobra.
I have to agree with Kinglizard, the green mamba is one beautiful animal.
Both species look even better when admired from a distance, I suppose..!

You guys like this green, wait till you see the eyelash vipers, and green tree boas/pythons.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Mambas seem to almost have an intelligence about them. Very scary.

Originally posted by kinglizard
WOW, I didn't realized the Green Mamba was so beautiful.

Check out the boomslang. This sucker will turn out your lights. Pound for pound one of the most venomous in the world.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Im not to them yet, grrrr, they are rear fanged snakes,Edit, my bad thinking of another tree snake,

The Boomslang Snake is a rather large, highly poisonous tree dwelling snake found throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Boomslangs are greenish to brown or even black in color. These coloring variations are the greatest of any other snakes in their Afrotropic regional habitat.
www.tigerhomes.org...

[edit on 13-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Im not to them yet, grrrr.....

Sorry to get ahead of you SC! Even though I hate snakes, I love watching TV shows about snakes. The floor is yours.

Peace

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Im not to them yet, grrrr.....

Sorry to get ahead of you SC! Even though I hate snakes, I love watching TV shows about snakes. The floor is yours.

Peace

Its all good bud, I was really just fooling around.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think that they are truly beautiful creatures; but these snakes I think I would only want to view behind glass or through photos; just to be safe....

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Get with in 75 feet of a black mamba and you could die. The green isnt as aggresive.

join