It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scam artists target Katrina donors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
After every disaster, the con artists come out of the woodwork to bilk well-meaning Americans.

There are now some 2,300 Web sites advertising Hurricane Katrina relief services, and most of them are presumed to be bogus, the FBI said Friday.

In addition, scammers are four times more prevalent than after the tsunami disaster, according to the watchdog site www.Scambusters.org.

Scams include:

• Phishing: In this scheme scamsters use fake Web sites that pretend to be legitimate relief organizations. If you click on the site and enter credit card or other financial information, it will be used to steal your identity. Any contributions you make go into the pockets of the scammers.

• Viruses and trojans: Spam is sent that includes photos of disaster areas or individual survivors, and these attachments contain computer viruses. These can enable hackers to take control of your computer and obtain information that they can use for identity theft.

• Fee-based spams: These are unsolicited e-mails that offer, for a fee, to locate missing relatives and loved ones caught in the hurricane.

Don't let yourself get scammed!

Source:
CNN

Human Kindness was always the target of the Weak.

And Katrina aftermath is not exception.

Be VERY careful to whom you give your money, if you want to help the victims of the disaster.

Here is a list of Hurricane Katrina Relief Organizations:

www.give.org...

And Tips for Donating to charity

Don't let yourself get Scammed!

[edit on 10/9/05 by Souljah]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hey Souljah, Im on the case.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

My job is to make them miserable and broke. Wanna join in the fun?
come visit the link in my sig.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
After every disaster, the con artists come out of the woodwork to bilk well-meaning Americans.

There are now some 2,300 Web sites advertising Hurricane Katrina relief services, and most of them are presumed to be bogus, the FBI said Friday.

In addition, scammers are four times more prevalent than after the tsunami disaster, according to the watchdog site www.Scambusters.org.

Scams include:

• Phishing: In this scheme scamsters use fake Web sites that pretend to be legitimate relief organizations. If you click on the site and enter credit card or other financial information, it will be used to steal your identity. Any contributions you make go into the pockets of the scammers.

• Viruses and trojans: Spam is sent that includes photos of disaster areas or individual survivors, and these attachments contain computer viruses. These can enable hackers to take control of your computer and obtain information that they can use for identity theft.

• Fee-based spams: These are unsolicited e-mails that offer, for a fee, to locate missing relatives and loved ones caught in the hurricane.

Don't let yourself get scammed!

Source:
CNN

Human Kindness was always the target of the Weak.

And Katrina aftermath is not exception.

Be VERY careful to whom you give your money, if you want to help the victims of the disaster.

Here is a list of Hurricane Katrina Relief Organizations:

www.give.org...

And Tips for Donating to charity

Don't let yourself get Scammed!

[edit on 10/9/05 by Souljah]

Hehe i warned catherder about these things beacsue he alldgedly donated 401.000 $ of his savings(
)to a katrina relief fund.He told me that my faith in humanity was lacking
Quess catherder is the guilable one here....

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher
Hey Souljah, Im on the case.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

My job is to make them miserable and broke. Wanna join in the fun?
come visit the link in my sig.

I knew somebody already beat me to this Story.

Thanks for the Link! I shall go and visit it!

top topics

join