It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide forums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Some woman on the news complaining that her 17 year old daughter killed herself because of internet suicide chatrooms.

She wants the internet to be policed....

It's always one that ruins it for others...like chatrooms...people shouldn't be stupid enough to meet someone they have no clue of.

When you are 17...I'm sure you know how to kill yourself. You don't need inspiration from suicide forums...I went through the phase of wanted to end it all. I visited a suicide forum...I'm still here.

Policing the net. Ha! Long live ogrish.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by kurtcobainuk]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
thats the way it has always been, its either
tv,movies, video games, rap music or the internet!

the scream thing (the movie scream) some crazy ass people started killing people in those masks. and video games kids jump off cliffs.

all i say if you think that the movies and other things bove are dangerous and have killing and sucide on them, then
"DONT LET YOUR KIDS WATCH OR USE THEM!!"

people still dont get it, but what i say some of the things above have really bad effects on people.

kurtcobainuk there is always something that people blame!

oni x x

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kurtcobainuk
Some woman on the news complaining that her 17 year old daughter killed herself because of internet suicide chatrooms.

Gimme the link to that? I'm actually collecting info for this topic; trying to show why the internet should not be held responsible for teen suicides like this.

She wants the internet to be policed....

Just another grieving parent. Chances are she's just lashing out, and she's feeling very, very guilty herself.

It's always one that ruins it for others...like chatrooms...people shouldn't be stupid enough to meet someone they have no clue of.

Exactly

Common sense should be compulsory teaching at school. It seems that there's currently no requirement to do so....

If this girl was suicidal, she would have done it anyway - regardless of a chat room, internet page, whatever.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I would think one would talk about their feelings on a suicide forums.
Actually I'm pretty sure that's what happens.

Other people on the forums usually try to help, correct?
It's not like the other members are telling you to commit suicide is it?

It's a place to go and chat/ask for help, and listen to other peoples stories and what their going through to so that the depressed person (assuming the teen was depressed) can see that they're not alone.

some people are blind and tend to play the blame game when something goes wrong.

...Or i'm completely wrong and this forum tells you to commit suicide and how to do it? I hope not.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I don't know if the forum in question is a support forum or not.

There do exist, however, forums which give suggestions on how to complete the act, including which drugs to procure, which methods are less likely to work etc.

There are also plenty of mailing lists devoted to this.

Just the nature of the beast....there's always been a fascination with suicide and death, and it's very clear that online the fascination continues.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Here you go a link to a story I found on it...seems she filmed a reality tv show.

Internet Suicide Girl

The History Channel said the show did not lead to the teenager's apparent suicide.

How exactly can they know that for sure?

[edit on 8-9-2005 by kurtcobainuk]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Oh I remember this one! (thanks for the link...good find)

It was back in May - I guess the coroner's report wasn't released until today?

Earlier this year an inquest heard how Carina was a "well-balanced, normal, happy and healthy girl" who had not been bullied at school, according to the UK's Press Association.

erm...no, no.

A normal, happy, healthy girl doesn't kill herself.

The pressures of taking part in a reality show like that can be hard to take though; I think what they're saying is the show itself (and the producers) bear no responsibility in legal terms.

Who knows what was on her mind?

But no, that's not the actions of a happy, healthy girl.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Who knows but it was on Bristish news today....so she died way back?

Hmm news has a habbit of doing that. Spec U.k news..it's pretty much ALL censored.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Nah, it's not...

(I was born/raised in England...)

This one first appeared back in May... as was this BBC link

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
"Remember kids, run down the street not across." Shirt with two pictures, one where the guy's wrist is cut across the wrist with a big red circle and slash thingy, and one where the wrist is cut length wise with no red circle and slash.

Can I sue them because someone might have seen that shirt and committed suicide the way the shirt says? It didn't tell you to do it, just gave a helpful hint.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
That mother that wants The Internet Regulated because her daughter's suicide. That is an excuse! She failed to notice the signs of depression, insanity or other suicidel idealogy. The girl was already having suicidel thoughts the forums/chatrooms may have contributed, but their are also many websites that promote horrid and destructive activities, that's where PERSONAL responsiblity comes in, to filter out the garbage.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
If you're out-there enough to kill yourself, you'll do it ragardless of what someone in a chatroom says...

new topics

top topics

join