It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prototype Rollable Display

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Found this really cool prototype that is very reminicent of the Earth: Final Conflict's Global. Infact it's a complete rip-off

I've been waiting for this technology for a while. It will eventually usher us into a paperless society...eventually

www.physorg.com...
Unfortunately...

Polymer Vision does not intend to commercialize this concept as a product in the market. Instead, it is demonstrating the fitness of its rollable displays for use in the mobile devices of tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Bumbityibumity

This type of paper will be very usefull. I can foresee a laptop that can last days maybe even weeks on a single charge. Well maybe not weeks yet but soon that may be possible. Need Regenerative Keying(like Braking in Hybrids
)

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Hmmm... how about piezoelectrics implanted in the keys? The hard part would be making them so that they don't hinder the typist... interesting idea!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I would have to look it up, but I believe someone already calculated once that electronic "paper" would be about as environmentally damaging as regular paper, taking into account that the first also uses energy.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666
I would have to look it up, but I believe someone already calculated once that electronic "paper" would be about as environmentally damaging as regular paper, taking into account that the first also uses energy.

If we can get the power consumption down to where it can be powered by thermal/kenetic/solar energy or some combination(I've even seen designs for Laptops not electronic paper that can even be powered by a hand crank you can attach) it would become very environmentally friendly.

Electronic Papre really uses very little power, add in Flash technology and a energy efficient CPU and an advanced battery tech ... well you can do the math

Now how long these last is a big question.

Nano-piezo technology is worth watching btw

[edit on 8-9-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
These devices have been in existance and producable since the middle 90's.

These things have an amazing array of properties, including:

They are as thin as 3 sheets of paper,
They require virtually no power to operate,
hold an image for months without power,
will soon be in color,
can be written on instead of using a keyboard,
and are fairly cheap to produce.

Overall, its a excellent invention and I suppose they are simply working to perfect various errors before it goes into mass production, though I have to ask, why hasnt it been out sooner?

I believe there are several types of these electronic papers, ones with tiny LEDs or ones that use colored spheres that rotate, but why havent we seen them?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
These devices have been in existance and producable since the middle 90's.

In very rough form. I remember the demo's too

hold an image for months without power,

With Flash indefinately. Some flash cards survived the Tsunami. Very very durable and doesn't need much power.

why hasnt it been out sooner?

Probably durablity issues and they need to sell out of LCD's, Plasmas and CRT's.

I believe there are several types of these electronic papers, ones with tiny LEDs or ones that use colored spheres that rotate, but why havent we seen them?

LEDs are quite expensive to manufacture OLEDs may replace LEDs as they don't have allot of LEDs inherint weaknesses.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I've heard opf E-paper replacing normal paper...But I a bit confused on how?

Say you have a 8x10 sheet of epaper...what are the benifits over normal paper? Will you print onto it or plug it in? Wire or Wireless? Could it handle movies? is it a "use once"thing, or can you just update/upload something new on it, and you have new material to read without the need for printing?

I'de appreciate it if someone could clear those up for me.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Im not sure about movies and other things, but it does have 1 giant advantage, you never throw it away.

You can use it, then reset it to a blank sheet, and use it and wipe, ETC. Would be more cost effective than mountaints of regular paper.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
And it's also the first display to even approach the resolution of the printed page. It's supposedly readable in bright daylight, try doing that with a regular laptop. I see this revolutionizing Laptops before we come out with true wireless e-paper. Computers have to get much smaller and powerfull before they can truely replace paper and laptops. It could enable screens that span your entire wall. That's a ways off still but it's something to look foward to.

Here is how it is implemented in Speculative Fiction

www.technovelgy.com...

Smart paper consisted of a network of infinitesimal computers sandwiched between mediatrons. A mediatron was a thing that could change its color from place to place...

It had nothing ... on Runcible, whose pages were thicker and more densely packed with computational machinery, each sheet folded four times into a sixteen-page signature, thirty-two signatures brought together in a spine that, in addition to keeping the book from falling apart, functioned as an enormous switching system and database.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Raideur
You can use it, then reset it to a blank sheet, and use it and wipe, ETC. Would be more cost effective than mountaints of regular paper.

You sound like your describing a whiteboard. (cause you know they do everything you just stated)

sardion2000
It could enable screens that span your entire wall. That's a ways off still but it's something to look foward to.

and you sound like your talking about a projector...except their here now.

I'm sure it will have a big future...but for now...I still dont really understand all that I want to know.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Imagine a commodity material that can Display images at very little power usage.

It has a much higher resolution(dots per inch) then even an HDTV, it approaches that of the printed page so it's very easy on the eyes and is readable in bright light, try doing that with a Laptop.

It's flexible so it can be used as a "E-Wallpaper" as well as "Smart Paper."

In the near term I see it being embedded into Laptops for one reason only, to extend battery life and boy will it ever. I saw one design for a Laptop that theoretically drew less energy then a Walkman. Of course it wasn't a 3+ GHz top of the line Duel Core 64 bit with all the bells and whistles, but a solid low power 1 GHz chip, and all storage is done on Flash Cards so this computer will have insane read/write speeds. This is the one with the Handcrank option i mentioned earlier.

We can embedd RFID into these devices to grab a signal for broadcast or just to connect to the net.

The Whiteboard idea is a great idea. No need for chaulk and it will enable the teacher to more easily embedd multi-media lessons into the curiculum

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This is an excellent invention. I can't believe I haven't heard about it before this. I would love to have something like this for navigational purposes. It could be made small enough so that it can be tossed in the glove compartment or in your pocket, but when you need to find your way, it unrolls into an easily read map that updates via GPS!!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Imagine a commodity material that can Display images at very little power usage.

It has a much higher resolution(dots per inch) then even an HDTV, it approaches that of the printed page so it's very easy on the eyes and is readable in bright light, try doing that with a Laptop.

It's flexible so it can be used as a "E-Wallpaper" as well as "Smart Paper."

In the near term I see it being embedded into Laptops for one reason only, to extend battery life and boy will it ever. I saw one design for a Laptop that theoretically drew less energy then a Walkman. Of course it wasn't a 3+ GHz top of the line Duel Core 64 bit with all the bells and whistles, so this computer will have insane read/write speeds. This is the one with the Handcrank option i mentioned earlier.

We can embedd RFID into these devices to grab a signal for broadcast or just to connect to the net.

but a solid low power 1 GHz chip, and all storage is done on Flash Cards

Thats just not realistic though, when you think about how huge hard drives are getting.

The Whiteboard idea is a great idea. No need for chaulk and it will enable the teacher to more easily embedd multi-media lessons into the curiculum

It has a much higher resolution(dots per inch) then even an HDTV

I have a 8 year old pc monitor that has a better resolution then my HDTV.

So from what I understand...It still wont actually replace paper...right?
It sounds like a great alternative for screens for tv's, cell phones, pda's, mp3 players, pc's, etc. But not paper...especially if it needs a power source, and to read something on a sheet of it I dont want to have to plug it in.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
*sigh* It could be powered by piezoelectricity once the efficiency gets maxed out. Embedd Solar Panels, lots of different things to power it.

You really have a hard time thinking "outside the box" don't you Murc?

This technology has a wide range of applications, one of the "far out" applications is e-paper.

Thats just not realistic though, when you think about how huge hard drives are getting.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Flash drives are tiny and consume little power. They are in the Gigabyte range now. The better technology gets the more efficient lower GHz chips get.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
*sigh* It could be powered by piezoelectricity once the efficiency gets maxed out. Embedd Solar Panels, lots of different things to power it.

You really have a hard time thinking "outside the box" don't you Murc?

This technology has a wide range of applications, one of the "far out" applications is e-paper.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Flash drives are tiny and consume little power. They are in the Gigabyte range now. The better technology gets the more efficient lower GHz chips get.

e-paper...sounds very "far-out" indeed.

I like to think i'm good at thinking outside the box.

and very rarely do I not know what i'm talking about.

and when I said "huge", I wasn't referring to there dimensions, I was referring to there storage capacity, since with todays tech they (flash drives) around like 6 gigs, while hard drives that are in todays computers are around 250 gigs, I personally have 460 gigs in mine...but thats because I love piracy.

[edit on 9-9-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Personally, I think the e-paper is a good thing... consider how small the file is, you have your power supply and cpu (low power, don't need much processing power...) that fits in your pocket like an i-pud, and your flash drive... you write your term paper (or type on your foldable keyboard... like the ones you get for a Palm), save it on your flash drive, and then when it comes time to hand in your paper, you load it onto your e-paper and hand it in... when you get your grade and all is done, you save it to disk and clear out the paper for your next assignment... no more wasted paper... we could save so much wood for building materials, it's crazy! Many universities are requiring students to get Flash drives already to save on floppy disks... it's reusable, doesn't get erased on accident when you set it on your speakers, and the media doesn't go bad like the typical magnetic-media floppies. When you get your flash drive full, you dump to your hard drive... when you get 4GB or so of art, papers, etc saved up, you burn to DVD and you're set.

top topics

join