It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: California Lawmakers Pass Gay Marriage Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The California Legislature has become the first state body to approve of a same sex marriage bill. The bill which had already passed in the State Senate will now be sent to the Governor. However it is unclear if Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will sign the legislation. A spokesman for the governor said that he would prefer that the matter be decided in court and not "his signature". The issue is currently in a state appellate court.

news.yahoo.com
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The California Legislature on Tuesday became the first legislative body in the country to approve a bill allowing same-sex marriages, but the measure faces an uncertain future with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

There were loud cheers by gay-rights activists in the Assembly gallery as lawmakers voted 41-35 to approve the bill and send it to the governor. The Assembly had twice defeated similar legislation.

A spokeswoman for the Republican governor said Schwarzenegger believes the issue should be decided by the courts, not by his signature on legislation. A state appellate court is considering appeals of a lower court ruling that overturned California laws banning recognition of gay marriages.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The governor is attempting to straddle the fence on this one and he should be careful. While he may never run for President (and IMHO the Constitution should not be changed for such a trivial reason), he no doubt has senatorial aspirations. So is he trying to stay in good graces with the parties right wing while pandering to the centrist and middle of the road by stating he will support whatever the courts decide? Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Delicate subject. Arnold did better in his movies - especially "Predator".

Other than that I have no idea how well his Polls in CA are doing. But, should he leave office after the next election, I do hope he returns to the movie world, especially sci-fi. Another Predator movie should out-take T-3.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So Ahnuld wants the courts to write the laws? I hate to break the news to him but the legal system is working exactly like it is supposed to. If he is unwilling or unable to participate in the process maybe he should step down. I like him but that has to be one of the lamest things I have ever heard come from leadership. You'd never hear Ventura talking like that. When the times got tough he threatened to lock the members of the Minnesota state legislature in a room with his dog that has a digestive problem (gotta love the sense of humor there). Its hard times Arnold. Be a man and do your job.

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's not the courts' job to write laws, this is the process that should happen...if he agrees with the law he should sign it, otherwise veto it...don't ask the courts to do your job, that's part of the problem we have in America today.

[edit on 9/7/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 7 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Looks like Arnold will veto the bill:

SACRAMENTO, Calif — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (search) announced Wednesday he will veto a bill that would have made California the first state to legalize same-sex marriage (search) through its elected lawmakers.

Schwarzenegger said the legislation, given final approval Tuesday by lawmakers, would conflict with the intent of voters when they approved an initiative five years ago. Proposition 22 (search) was placed on the ballot to prevent California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

www.foxnews.com...

top topics

join