It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Average CEO Now Receives 431 Times the Average Worker's Wage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have to agree, stop letting corporations run the country.

Has anyone noticed that corporations seem to determine who gets into office. Seriously, who else provides all that campaign money. And as we all know, these days few people actually like the person they vote for (unless it's third party). It's all about which politician can blast their name out on commercials with plenty of photo-ops. So in the end corporations determine the president.

However as a side note I recommend the book Jennifer Goverment to anyone who enjoys reading. It's a fairly quick read, but it is excellent. Basically it's about corporations running the US and it's allies. It's incredibly hilarious, and provides an interesting look at what would happen without goverment regulation. So even if you have no interest in the topic, just read it for a good laugh.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Now you are into an area where I can agree. Corporations have way to much power over politicians, independent researchers, etc. They give money to politicians on both sides of almost every issue so no matter who wins, they have influence with that person. I don't think that should be allowed, but I don't know how to prevent it. The same can be said for the Unions and various associations.

Campaign reform was supposed to help fix the problem of influence buying (and selling), but I don't see that it has had any real impact at all. So called "soft money" contributions have gone up and up over the years as influence buyers found ways around the campaign contribution limits. However, I personally believe the real problem lies with career politicians. If you remove them from the game, the entire picture changes for the good.

Somehow strict term limits need to be imposed on Senators and Representatives. They have been fighting the concept though--and so far they are winning. The American public has the power to change all that though if they will only use that power. If you take away the influence corporations have over Congressmen and over State & local government, then people have the power back. Term limits would be a very good first step towards that goal.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
A little bump. :bump:

The situation got worse, and it's back in the news again, so I thought I'd shuffle this story back into the mix.

<< 1   >>

join