It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much will it take?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Really. Just how much more can this current Adminstration take before it breaks? When the Bush Administration was given power for four more years, I thought it was foolish to think that it would ever have to step down. I thought Bush would be able to ride out the rest of his term somewhat peacefully. But amidst the current horrible mishandling of the Iraq War and the sheer anger at the response to Katrina, more and more of America seems to be distancing itself from our leaders. Adding fuel to the growing fire.

I've always said to myself, it will just take one great act of defiance by this, or any immediate future Administrations, to band this country together. An act of defiance so immense that it disguists people in every part of the political spectrum. Don't ask me what this act will be, because I don't know. But I'm willing to bet that the arrogance of these so called 'lawmakers' will get the best of them. And soon.

We will see the response of our Administration when the next Katrina comes ... in whatever form of natural calamity ... then we'll see if the camels' back can support itself. And yes be sure of it, Katrina is only the beginning.

As an American I've come to accept the fact that I could be wiped out at any moment in time, along with my city, from whatever disaster that is destined to happen. Sadly, in this day and age, that's how you have to live.

To quote Bob Dylan, "The Times, They Are A-Changin',"

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't know...I suppose I've always held the belief that I could be wiped out at any given moment, for whatever reason.

Resting on our laurels was a contributing factor in 9/11; even now there are allegations that the catastrophe caused by Katrina could have (should have, would have?) been lessened if we'd been more alert and more prepared for what is seen as an inevitability.

I'm not suggesting that we live day to day on tenterhooks, terrified of what might be - but rather we just become alert to the inevitability that for some of us, we will one day cease to exist psimply because we didn't prepare.

As for Bush, I'm not sure whether any of these situations would be different under any other leader. It's very easy to say with hindsight what we could have, or should have done differently; it's just not so easy to make those decisions during a time of crisis. I think it's doubtful that this Bush administration will break down or even make any major changes in the time remaining, given that reasoning alone.

What I do think is this:

The current administration has probably polarized this country more than any other administration in recent history.

And in times of crisis, that's the last thing this (or any other) country needs.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Tink,

It seems I follow you around in these posts and read your thoughts, smile, and move on. That is a compliment because normally I can't add to what you have already said. But I agree this administration has polarized the American people more so than any in my 50 years in this country.

IMO, this nation is not struggling to survive, but struggling to maintain. We have had the great wealth for so long we cannot accept the lowering of our standards to become a nation among many.

Our focus in the last half century has shifted from what is good for America to what, in our elevated opionions, is good for the world.

We bought our friends and we bought our enemies at the expense of the American people. And yet, now an American city and the American people, need to see swift action right here at home answering the call of humanity, and the govenment cannot or does not provide.

They hide behind legalities, often tearing pages out of the law books to accomplish what they see is the American dream. Yet, has the government not voted itself more important than the people of the nation?

This nation, under the current administration, is only solvent as long as they are capable of providing for the people who live in it.

[edit on 4-9-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I'd say the most important job of a leader would be to unify it's followers. This world and this country are far from unified.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Something will happen before 2008 that will get Bush's support back. Although HE can't run again, it doesn't say one of his inner circle can't. After 9/11 Bush's support jumped, as with 7/7 Blair's. He'll need this so the transition from Bush to Bush's Crony is flawless, as he rides on the hope that Americans will think the new guy will do a good job of fighting this "new evil" that managed another attack.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Get this country unified? Reminds me of those dumb bumper stickers--except I'd correct it to read "United We FALL."

I say it's better to be divided by truth than to be united in error. Besides, dissent isn't necessarily treason.

top topics

join