It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikimaru
There are no people with any respect for the american government anymore

Can you really blame them?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Prayers for the soul of William Rehnquist and condolences for his family and friends. I believe he tried to make America and the World great and thus I believe he should be greatly honored.

Formula: a person who has passed and tried to make the USA and the World great: great awards for that person. A person who has passed and tried to make the USA and the World good: good awards for that person.

God Bless the USA Supreme Court and may George W. Bush and the Senate find an excellent replacement for an excellent Chief Justice.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Only one name comes to mind Karl Rove. Appoint him and then make him chief justice so Bush will be in a good position when his impeachment trial starts.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Let's not get ahead of ourselves everybody. The Republicans still control the House of Reps I don't see that changing anytime soon, although they could lose the senate in 2006 very easily. Bush would have to shoot Ted Kennedy in broad daylight to be impeached at this point, and we all know that Bush wouldn't do that- he'd have Rumsfeld do it.

Bush is a lame duck but he's not entirely his own man- few presidents are. Look his top cabinet officials. There are his daddy's friends from the Nixon and Ford administrations (and the Reagan and Bush 41 administrations for that matter). On top of having a party to think about, Bush has his daddy and his daddy's friends to think about in this. The only way he'll do anything radical to create even more ire is if Karl Rove and whatever other advisors he trusts believe that the American public will blame senate democrats and vote them out in 2006. I don't think that will happen.

I think he'll keep pushing Thomas or Scalia for the top spot until Roberts is confirmed- if he rushes Roberts in and makes him chief he hasn't got a bargaining chip when it comes time to nominate the second justice and he'll get stuck with a liberal. After Roberts is in he can try to push some kind of bargain- a conservative justice for a liberal or moderate chief.
I don't know if it will work, but I think that will be his plan.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Perhaps they'll move Roberts up.

DING DING DING

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good call

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join