It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Chief Justice of The Supreme Court William Rehnquist has died.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Chief Justice William Rehnquist, who helped shift the U.S. Supreme Court toward a more conservative ideology and strongly supported states' rights during his three decades on the bench, has died.

Rehnquist, who presided over the court for nearly 19 years, was 80.

Rehnquist, who had been receiving chemotherapy and radiation for thyroid cancer, died at his suburban Virginia home surrounded by his three children, a court spokeswoman said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

William Rehnquist died of complications with thyroid cancer. He assumed the mantle of Supreme Court Justice at the age of 42 back in 1972. He was appointed Chieif Justice of the Supreme Court in 1986 by then President Ronald Reagan. He died peacefully at home in Virginia, he was 80..

[edit on 3-9-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 4-9-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 5-9-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
hmmm I wonder who will be next to put on the Robes

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
He's gone to the big court in the sky. God bless him

None of us are leftover for seeds.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I was just going to post this...........Who will replace him?

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Now we can have bush appoint an ultra conservative to the bench!YAY!

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Here comes Speedy Gonzales,,,,just like clock work.

Hows everyone enjoying the Satanic Carnival festivities?

Chirac Hospitalized
By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: September 4, 2005
PARIS, Sept. 3 - President Jacques Chirac was hospitalized late on Friday after suffering unspecified vascular trouble, and is expected to remain in the hospital for a week, his office said Saturday

SEE The French Connection III thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3-9-2005 by magnito_student]

edited out bad link.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
With all respect for the passing of Justice Rehnquist, I did not care for his politics.
Many would say that he was instrumental in the ongoing attempt by the "Moral Majority"
to take over our great nation.

His passing is indeed sad news and it could not come at a worse time.

Some of you may not be aware that Justice Rehnquist was appointed by Richard Nixon
He was elevated to Chief Justice by Ronald Reagan
He presided over the Clinton impeachment proceedings in 1999
Then cast the deciding vote ending the recount of the 2000 Elections Florida vote that launched George W.Bush into the White House.
He also wrote a dessenting opinion on Roe vs Wade.

His fate now rests with God

[edit on 3-9-2005 by FallenFromTheTree]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I wont miss him.

I can name at least a dozen laws that violate the Constitution. The Supreme Court has no integrity. Hardly an honorable person.

They are still arguiing over what the Constitution means, they are pathetic morons and I have no respect for them.

[edit on 4-9-2005 by YaYo]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I think Rehnquist was a fantastic person and this loss is another devestating blow to the U.S., we just lost the head of one of our branches of government. I'd think people would be more respectful.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A link to the above story. Read Me

Also, reported on Fox.

[edit on 9/3/2005 by swintersVT]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The link isn't showing up on my screen. Is it working... and has this news been confirmed by more than one source?

If this is true this has become the 'maximum hour' for president Bush.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
There are no people with any respect for the american government anymore

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Is there anybody here who knows much about cancer, his case in particular? A few days ago everybody knew that he was feeling good enough to serve out the rest of Bush's term- he promised not to step down when John G Roberts went up.
Now all of a sudden it turns out he had cancer and was ready to drop any second???

Maybe it's just the conspiracy theorist in me, but I'm hungry for information. It lingers in the back of my mind that he could have been rubbed out, and I'm naturally anxious to find out if there are any facts to support or challenge that theory.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Editted needless comment

[edit on 3-9-2005 by alien]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My Prayers and condolences go out to his family.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
There's ample room to debate the merits of the man's accomplishments or speculate on the political fallout (which will be sizable) on the ATS Politics forums. Please don't interrupt the eulogy to start debate here.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Cancer can take you very fast. My grandmother was diagnosed with it, and she died within a couple of months. He may have thought that he could last out the term, and then suddenly took a turn for the worse.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
What a douche bage, he actually dissented in Roe v Wade.

And you've dissented on the concept of civility and decorum (not to mention spelling as well)... I guess we're all even.

Amy Vanderbilt Monkeys, not just for "missed" manners anymore...

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
not to speak rudely of the dead, but wasnt Rhenquit, i mean Rhenquist chief justice when Bush conned his way into office in 2000 ?

and on another note, is he really so important that the 3 major cable news stations(CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News) would completely stop coverage of the worst natural disaster we have ever had in this country's history ?

i suppose the 1000 + or more that have died in the last week arent as important as one man

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
God bless his soul, a great justice indeed.

I expect we will see either Clarence Thomas or Antonin Scalia notched up to Chief Justice, both are ultra conservatives and Clarence is black, an extra incentive.

Then we will see another conservative nominated to replace either Clarence or Scalia, add that with the nomination of Roberts and the court suddenly becomes very conservative.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join