It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canary Island SuperTsunami....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well, if we didnt have enough geohazards in the world...

Another volcano in the Canary Islands is set to drop a landslide into the Atlantic Ocean, a volume of rock twice the volume of the Isle of Man, dropping into the Atlantic at 350 kph, and sending a tsunami 50 meters high across the ocean to Florida and the US Eastern Seaboard....

Previous research by Simon Day and colleagues predicted that a future eruption would be likely to cause a landslide on the western flank of Cumbre Vieja. A block of rock approximately twice the volume of the Isle of Man would break off, travelling into the sea at a speed of up to 350 kilometres per hour. The disintegration of the rock, this earlier study predicted, would produce a debris avalanche deposit extending 60 kilometres from the island. The energy released by the collapse would be equal to the electricity consumption of the entire United States in half a year.

The greatest effects are predicted to occur north, west and south of the Canaries. On the West Saharan shore waves are expected to reach heights of 100 metres from crest to trough and on the north coast of Brazil waves over 40 metres high are anticipated. Florida and the Caribbean, the final destinations in the North Atlantic to be affected by the tsunami, will have to brace themselves for receiving 50 metre high waves - higher than Nelson's column in London, some 8 to 9 hours after the landslide. Towards Europe waves heights will be smaller, but substantial tsunami waves will hit the Atlantic coasts of Britain, Spain Portugal and France.

www.underreported.com...

zed

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I saw this on Discovery. I think they said it would coausr destruction 20 or 30 miles inland. And they there would be minimal warning. I think it would be a case of grabbing your board and enjoying your last moments as best you can.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Dude...that surf is gonna be awesome!!!

Surf's up Dude!!!

Seriously, if this happens, we're totally screwed, there isn't much we can do against this....

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I agree.
this will rock.
what a big mess caused my a comparitively small pebble.

new topics

top topics

join