It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans eating cows that ate humans - No Kidding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
"Soylent Green... is people!" -- Charlten Heston

The famously-bad phrase is now barely a joke. Researchers in Great Britain have linked BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephylothrypy AKE Mad Cow Disease) to the accidential ( ? ) consumption of human remains by cows themselves.

No, this is not a joke. BSE is now more like kuru (the laughing disease caused by the practice of cannabilism) than ever.

During the late 1960s and 1970s, Britain imported a huge amount of carcase parts of mammalian origin from India.

Prof Colchester said there had been reports of human remains found in European ports and, although these were ostensibly for use in fertiliser, it was known they were used in animal feed because of cost.

"We think over a long period there was an accumulated risk of an infected human corpse entering into the animal feed," he said.

"We know from time to time they must have incorporated human remains that were crushed locally and then processed in the UK."

Professor Richard Ironside, director of laboratories at the UK CJD Surveillance Unit in Edinburgh, said the resistant nature of the agent that causes CJD meant it could survive transmission in human remains from India to the UK.

Human Remains in Feed may have lead to BSE in the UK

As bad as it is that animal parts are then fed back to herbviore animals, the fact that human remains are unwittingly fed to animals that feed humans is even worse.

While the meat industry as described by Upton Sinclair in "The Jungle" has turned around dramatically, it seems that global food markets and the ultra-conservative practices of recycling animal parts for consumption have lead to a new era of digusting and dangerous practices in the meat industry. Hopefully, the industry will remedy itself. I think people are ready to pay a few bucks more for meat that's not fed its own kind or humans.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Ufff!!
thats totally sick! Just hearing about it makes me want to never touch meat again.. i hope it gets to an end and no new deadly disease forms on account of this.. How does an unsuspecting customer know the difference.. nobody even checks twice.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
EWWWWWWW!!!!

I'm not that concerned about the meat that I purchase since I normally get it from one of those 'health food' type stores, but I am very glad that my hubby and I watched that movie "Supersize Me" and made the decision to avoid all fast food places forever! I'm sure McDonalds and all the other fast food places dont' care if they are buying people eating cow meat.

It's a good thing I only drink coffee for breakfast because the mere thought of this makes me nauseus. Ick. I'm so grossed out.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Chicken Flu is much better for you, better on the arteries and better on the waistline

The incredible edible egg

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Is this only now news??? I'm Not surprised, I was under the impression that it was common knowledge that Cows were fed the remains of other animals including other cows. After knowing that, It wouldn't be too hard to see how human remains could also end up in that hellish mix.

glad I'm not a beef eater

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think you should keep in mind that this theory is speculation with no evidence to back it up. Even the guy who has come up with it admits as much:

"We do not claim our theory is proved, but it unquestionably warrants further investigation," said the Colchesters

The Indian government scientist is quite scathing:

SK Bandyopathyay, husbandry commissioner for the Indian government, said: "I have not seen the publication but I think the hypothesis appears highly preposterous. I would like to see what evidence there is to support it."

About 3,800 sheep and cattle had been checked for similar diseases over the past four years and there had been no cases so far, Dr Bandyopathyay said.

"I know that some websites have put forward a theory about half-burnt human remains in Benares. But I would not expect this to appear in the Lancet. If it was true [that human infected remains were floating in the Ganges] then we should have had an epidemic in India. But there have been no cases of variant CJD. It defies logic, really."

Both quotes from: www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Proved or not proved... i think the important thing is that it teaches many of us here is to be more careful and concious about this atleast from now on!

top topics

join