It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing human Organs - How far should we go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Just wanted to know what the feelings of you people are with regards to growing human organs and the endless possiblities. My reasons for this is that my son suffers from Cystic Fibrosis (a genetic/hereditary disease) and could have many of his problems solved by a heart/lung transplant.

A lot of people are against this, i myself am not keen but can see the medical benefits it would have not only for my son, but for everyone needing transplants.

We are at the fringes of this technology and it could solve many problems

I would just like your opinions on this kind of thing and how you think it could be controlled to stop it being abused.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Clearly the point will be if they require a human host to grow. In otherwords, you clone a human that is basically your organ bank. RIch guys can afford more than one and stay alive for a long time. That should NEVER be allowed IMHO

If you can grow them in a lab or another animal that has been geneticaly engineered to have your bloodtype etc, then you have something on your hands.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
with low organ donation levels worldwide i can definatley for see it becoming viable and ethical in being able to grow organs withing laboartries.as unfortunate as it is the waiting lists for these organs seems to be getting longer and longer but on the other hand we see so many promises but nothing seems to ever materialise.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by madjamjar
I would just like your opinions on this kind of thing and how you think it could be controlled to stop it being abused.

I find a lot of people who oppose this kind of research have a "where-will-it-all-end" attitude but no real idea of the reality of their fears.

I am generally supportive of medical breakthroughs, but would be willing to reconsider if I could hear a compelling argument instead of endless rhetoric regarding the supposed ethics of the unknown. What is the substance of this future they fear?

Considering there are hints that stem cells may be farmed from the placenta as opposed to cloned embryos, where does that leave the moral "majority"?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I put this link up on a thread called grow a new body part.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

It may be of interest. Sounds wild, but I would not doubt at all that this is happening...now.

Question is, will this be released to the masses, and if so, how.
(Highly doubt it, humans are to busy killing each other...and it means less control for a certain few that would prefer to keep human as sheep. But, again, who knows.)

Though the following movie deals with cloning, watch 6th day and you will probably get a sense of how this would be handled if released to the masses. (some genetic bug would be put in as a kind of black mail to terminate you if you were to step out of line.)

Gods peace

dalen

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think it would be an excellent idea to grow human organs, provided that we didn't have to kill one person to save another. (i.e. the clone dies so somebody else can live) I wouldn't want it on my conscience that I had basically murdered somebody so that I could have a new liver or something. Reminds me of the movie "The Island" which I just watched yesterday.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
...As far as it takes to help people.
woodsy

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

If its possible to grow meat in a petri dish why not work on it from that angle. Perhaps growing an organ outside of any living host should be the goal. Cells taken from the recipent or close family member would be enough.

Time to think outside the embryo

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I don't see any reason that we shouldn't be pursuing alternatives like this with regard to medicine.

I really don't understand arguments to the contrary.

If we develop the technology to grow new organs....Great

Then should something happen to your heart or kidney, they can grow you one.

I say Great.

top topics

join