It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hovercraft based on limited comprehension of electronics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
A mass spectrometer works by applying a magnetic field and an electric field perpendicular to each other. Any ionized molecules that are hit by these fields experience a force that is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the electric field.

That is to say, if you have a mag field in the z (up/down) direction and an elec field in the x (forwards/backwards) direction, the molecule will go in the y (left/right) direction.

How about this: use the Earth's magnetic field as your magnetic source. Create a current through a series of coils around the machine you want to levitate which will create an electric field. Align the coils in a way so that the electric field will always have at least a small part of it perpendicular to the magnetic field of the earth. This will (at least in my crazy little head) cause a force to act on the craft in a third direction - up.

I dunno. The earth's mag field is extremely weak, and so a whole lot of elec field would be needed to cause enough force to raise something that weighs a ton. I don't even know if you could get a powerful enough battery that could support its own weight through the current it generates.

XPO

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Good concept to be starting out with. Maybe you should gain a lil more knowledge in the electronics field and keep on trying, that's more or less the only reason I bothered getting a degree. I wanred a hoverboard and to pirate radio stations... but that second idea is illegal, so I would never think of doing that....

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm graduating in Chemistry this year. I had to take a year of physics as a requirement, which I didn't mind. It was only first year physics, but the version that you have to take if you want to be a scientist or an engineer, aptly named "Physics for Scientists and Engineers." Of course, I called it "Physics for Sadists and Masochists."

I'm taking Physical Chemistry this year, which covers statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and all that yummy stuff that ties in with it. Plus I have to take a couple of differential equations courses and some advanced chemistry labs.

On the bright side, I get to play with the GC/MS and the NMR spec and some other cool doo-hickeys, and they're giving us 24/7 access to the labs. Score!

I think I better leave my hovercraft to daydreaming for now.

[edit on 2-9-2005 by trinitrotoluene]

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Yes,that is a good concept.I recall having a discussion about this in a class 30 some years ago of a similar concept.I do not remember who it was but we saw pictures and reserch some scientist had done as a demo.

He had placed a coil around an aluminum core,induced a charge and levitated a steel plate.It was pretty cool to watch the demo.

I think the big problem with this course would be the gravitational aspect.To build a hovercraft with this equipment would take a lot of effort.It would have to be huge to carry the coil.The cost of the copper alone would probably bankrupt a small nation-state.

What about the story H. G. Wells wrote,'The First Men In The Moon'?The scientist in the story infused helium with metal and made a sphere that had antigravity effect.Has anyone done real research on that avenue?

Since you are into chemistry maybe you could share some research on the subject?I believe an incredibly light weight but durable metal would really contribute significately to this area of research.

posted on Sep, 3 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I believe Shadow88 is attempting this as we speak...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Guess you have some competition, heh heh. Good luck. I want one if you get it up!

new topics

top topics

join