It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Explorer help....please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Hi everyone.

I really need some help with my Internet Explorer. Whenever I connect to the internet, and go about my surfing, I keep running into the same problem.

Whenever I open a new window or click a link, my IE crashes. The only way I can get rid of this is to open windows task manager and end the current task. This leads to me having to send an error report. So far today, I would go as far to say i've encountered this problem a minimum of twelve times.

It's driving me nuts!!! :bnghd:

Eventually after sending an error report I was taken to the microsoft site to install something that supposedly fixes the crash problem.

Needless to say, this hasn't rectified the problem. I installed it and restarted my computer but it still happens.

I only know the basics when it comes to computers, so if there is an easy way to fix this, then I obviously missed that one.

Please, please, please can anyone help? As I mentioned, i'm not really computer literate, so go easy on me please.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Aaarrrgghh!!! It just did it again. In windows task manager it says "programme not responding".

This really is doing my head in.

Any sort of help will do, just please tell me how to stop this.

I'm going to bite a big chunk out of my computer, I swear.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It might be a spyware problem.

goto www.download.com, and download Spybot, and Adaware install them and check for the most recent updates do a full system scan with BOTH of them remove what they find then open up SpyBot and immunize your system.

Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ok, got it. Thanks for the reply. Mucho grateful (Sorry)

I've got Yahoo anit-spy, is that not good enough or are these other programmes better?

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hey glan,

Thanks alot for the advice. I ran both the programmes and they found something like 3500 problems!!!

The IE still freezes, prompting me to send an error report, but at least it's not cutting me off and closing the window.

Thanks again. I owe ya

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Forget IE, use FireFox.
Belive me, the world will be a better place.
Have a nice day

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
Forget IE, use FireFox.
Belive me, the world will be a better place.
Have a nice day

Hey, thanks for the link. I just installed it am using it now. Everything seems to going pretty well so far. No crashing. Woo-hoo

Thanks again for you help.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
No problem, just spread the word. Anything to kick Microsoft's *A* *you know* what S*. By the way, you shuold check all the nice extencions that you can install. I recomend:
-BB code (great tool for posting on ATS)
-Forecastfox (tells you the weather..doohhh)
-Addblock (let's you block all the adds and falsh adds and frames and stuff on a site just by clicking on them.)
-Tabbrwoser Preferences (more optons for better tab browsing)
-Foxy Tunes (Lets you control almost any musik player you can download from you main screen)
And theres Many more, just givin you a test.

Take that IE. To find them just google e'm or go extras and expansions.
Have a nice day

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Excellent. Thanks for the advice, i'll give those a go now.

I'm glad to report that i've experienced no crashes since installing Firefox!!

Thank you so much for your help. IE was doing my head in every five minutes.

Woo-Hoo!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If your realy extreem, try this. It works fine on mine.
Make it fast

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Red, I have some more programs I strongly suggest use download and use-and of course they are free and legal.

Download: ccleaner, Microsoft antispywere (says beta, but it is a mature program and has monitoring aspects-USE THEM!!!

Do you have/use an anti-virus program? If no, try AVG or AVENT, both free and get updated.

Do you use a software firewall-if not-zone alarm 6.X is a good free one.

Yes, u really do need 4 or more cleanup programs, antivirus and a firewall.

Another point, how are you on your microsoft updates.... if u have not done it for awhile, time for it now-hope u have dsl/cable as there tends to be many updates.

Firefox is loads better than Ie-imo-, but lets get everything fixed so ie works fine, then just don't use it.

If u have more question/problems-let me know and I will help as much as I can.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Red, I have some more programs I strongly suggest use download and use-and of course they are free and legal.

Download: ccleaner, Microsoft antispywere (says beta, but it is a mature program and has monitoring aspects-USE THEM!!!

Do you have/use an anti-virus program? If no, try AVG or AVENT, both free and get updated.

Do you use a software firewall-if not-zone alarm 6.X is a good free one.

Yes, u really do need 4 or more cleanup programs, antivirus and a firewall.

Another point, how are you on your microsoft updates.... if u have not done it for awhile, time for it now-hope u have dsl/cable as there tends to be many updates.

Firefox is loads better than Ie-imo-, but lets get everything fixed so ie works fine, then just don't use it.

If u have more question/problems-let me know and I will help as much as I can.

Wow, thanks to both of you for the useful advice.

mrmonsoon, so far i've got Spybot and Ad-aware. I don't think I have any anti-virus software on my pc (i'm not too good with pc's so I wouldn't know what i'm looking for, but I am learning as I go though
)

I have windows update set to automatic so I think they install themselves. If they don't then I click the updates icon on my taskbar and check. I also do visit the microsoft site for updates about once a week.

In my windows security center it says:

spyware: detected
firewall: detected
anti-virus: not detected.

Does that mean I do have a firewall?

Sorry to be a pain.
Thanks for offering to help.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It means windows firewall is runing. It isn't as good though as, lets say the Zone Alarm. I think its freeware.
Link
If you use a firewall you might encounter problems with things like online gamin and p2p programs. You might want to read about it first. Here: Link
Have a nice day

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It means you have the M$ firewall active-which a usless pice of softwere.

go to google and type"download free avg antivirus" and install it. Then go and do updates. Then run a full/complete scan.

again go to googel and type: download microsoft antispywear. Install it. Then go and do updates. Now runa full scan. NOTE: this program has the ability to monitor your computer-when installing the program it will ask u if u want to have it monitor u-yes!

As for the zone alarm firewall, you will need to learn a little about firewalls. U need to learn what you want and don't want to allow out to the internet. Only time and experice help for that-always a learning process.

hope this helps. If you have specific questions and such-feel free to u2u me and I will do my best to help you.

This is what I do to spywear.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Cool info! Thanks again to you both for that. OMG, and there's me just thinking that I could connect to the internet and surf away.

But then I suppose there's all these precautions to take for a reason huh?

top topics

join