It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Villagers stunned as 4-kilogram meteorite lands in rural Zimbabwe field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com.../cpress/20050830/ca_pr_on_od/oddity_meteorite

HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) - Villagers said a meteorite that slammed into rural Zimbabwe sounded like a helicopter as it landed, state media reported Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 4.1-kilogram, white-speckled black lump landed Aug. 22 in the remote Dotito area of the Zambezi Escarpment, about 140 kilometres north of the capital, Harare, The Herald newspaper reported.

It was believed to consist mainly of nickel and iron. It was taken to a police forensic laboratory for study, and later will be taken to the national museum.

Those who saw it land were still "dumbfounded," The Herald reported.

4.1 KG is soemthing pretty big, while I was wondering what something like that would be worth.....

Here's a link from the "largest Buyer/seller of Meteorites in the world

www.space.com...

The most popular meteorites lately have been pieces of Sikhote-Alin, the iron meteorite that exploded above eastern Siberia in 1947. Small pieces, the size that would fit in your palm, sell for $50 to $100. But larger samples, pieces with exotic shapes fitting to be displayed as sculpture can sell for that much per gram. (One ounce is equivalent to 28 grams.)

not exactly Pennies from heaven but..................

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm not sure why this is in the Alien/UFO Forum, but the story is interesting.

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I guess before it hit the ground, and before anyone knew what it was, it was a UFO!?

But I have to say I was more intrigued by the second link. I didn't realise this was bit of an industry!

join