It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 50 hurricane-related deaths in Mississippi's Harrison County Alone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hurrican katrina is credited with at least 56 deaths in Mississippi, with 50 coming in a single county. Of the 50 deaths that occured in Harrison county, the majority are from an apartment complex in Biloxi. Four others were killed as well resulting from fallen trees and a car accident. There is no official tally of deaths, as there are death reports still flowing in.

www.cnn.com
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Hurricane Katrina left at least 55 people dead Monday, 50 of them in one Mississippi county, according to The Associated Press, and toll was expected to climb following one of the most powerful hurricanes to hit the northern Gulf Coast in a half century.

More than 12 hours after making landfall on the Louisiana coast east of New Orleans, Katrina was downgraded to a tropical storm with winds of 60 mph Monday evening.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would have expected less lives to have been taken in such a small area. Perhaps, being in this location, people believed they were in no huge threat. All those deaths could have been prevented had the people taken the advice of evacuating. God only knows how many more people have been killed as a total from hurricane Katrina.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Hurricane Katrina Data & Resources Thread

[edit on 29-8-2005 by DarkHelmet]

[edit on 30-8-2005 by DarkHelmet]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I often wonder if the people who decide not to evacuate have ever been through a hurricane. I would suppose that those who do not evacuate believe that they are not in any danger, despite all the warnings. Perhaps it is simply just ingnorance. In any case, if a warning is issued, you should evacuate.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Here is the thing guys, my wifes family lives in Biloxi and they do not have the funds to go anywhere. Besides the fact that they were warned of the last few hurricanes and nothing happened, so they thought "lets ride this one out" until they saw it was a Cat 5. Then it was too late. I have family in Lafayette and they had no damage at all. The last time I spoke with my wifes family was last night and they are all ok. So give Jesus thanks for that, it was an answered prayer that they made it out of the storm ok. Not that much in property damage either. Now they are pulling from thier meager resources and helping other who were less fortunate. People from the south know how to stick together for the most part. There are always going to be those who prey on the tragedy but all in all we will come out ok. Now as for New Orleans...well they have never been right in the head there. It was more like the left coast as far as the way they treat each other. You have to get away from the city to see how Loisi-ann folks really are. Just my opinion anyway. I am biased because I am not from the city, but I spect 18 years travelling around the world for the Air Force and know that the military will take care of the folks in the local are as it is part of our (past tense) job to help local communities when in need. Please, all the haters of America and the Political whores don't knock America. This is the most generous and greatest nation the world has ever seen. Outside of Venezuela, which is ironic, I don't see anyone helping us anytime soon. I guess they don't realise that if our economy tanks so will thiers. I mean really, we invest in everyone and they invest in us. You go we go and vice-versus.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think another part of the reason it was too late to leave, was that it originally was not to directly pass through Biloxi. With reports of so many more deaths... I cano nly assume that Biloxi's count has gone up as well.

top topics

join