It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microscopic Robot Heads for Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The latest step towards achieving nanotechnology, a team of scientists from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland have developed a robot small enough to be injected into a body. The robot is about the width of 4 strands of hair.
This new micro-robot could one day be used to deliver drugs, analysis medical conditions and even perform surgery.
The robot receives the energy it needs to operate as well as to navigate inside the body through the use of externally applied magnetic forces. The frequency that is transmitted to the micro-robot will engage the various motors thus allowing it to be properly maneuvered.

dsc.discovery.com
A new microscopic robot that it is so small it can be injected into the body through a syringe could one day be used by doctors to analyze medical conditions, deliver drugs or perform minimally invasive surgery.

The biomedical micro-robotic system, developed by a team of scientists from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, Switzerland, is the smallest of its kind with machined and assembled parts, and has been demonstrated to successfully maneuver through a watery maze using external energy from magnetic forces.

The minimally invasive robot is particularly well-suited to navigate through the blood vessels of the heart or the fluids located behind the eye and in the ear to diagnose and treat disease, resulting in less injury and a faster recovery time for patients.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is an amazing breakthrough! There is even a great simulation that is worth viewing. Perhaps in the very near future, using this technology, a person could enter the hospital in the morning, skip taking a sedative, undergo surgery then leave the hospital in a couple of hours with their recovery time being next to nothing! I sincerely hope that this proves itself and that it can be put to use soon.
My wife recently undedrwent a hysterectomy and it took nearly 6 weeks to recover.

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Nanotechnology was "achieved" long ago - and nanobots have existed for some time. When I can, I will review the literature to see why this particular nanobot is unique. There is much background info here at ATS about nanotechnology and nanobots.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
soficrow,
you are correct in that nanotech has been around for quite awhile now.
The difference with this micro-bot is that it has many parts both mechanical as well as electrical.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Soficrow,
Are you referring to Prions, and Virii?
I've always thought that a bacteriophage looked like a lunar landing craft..
Natural nanobots.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by spacedoubt]

top topics

join