It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irans Military Capability.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
To be honest with you all, it's not the weapons that Iran has in her arsenal that worries me.

It will be how the Iranian military will respond after the first 30 days of night and day bombing from coalition forces.

How will the average Joe Iranian army guy fight.

Is this person a tried and true Islamic psycho or will this fighter be a college student, farmer or businessman forced to fight?

I would say we will see some of both.

The Islamic psycho loyal fighter will be held in reserve protecting major sites and cities and forcing the average Joe to fight with a gun to their head, fight or die.

Sort of what SH did in Iraq with the Republican guard.

Something we all must remember that in Iran, not all of the people support the current administration, and over the past five years there have been some major student revolts against the Iranian administration.

We don't here to much about these rally's and anti government marches because the Mullahs suppress the demonstrations with a heavy hand.

Goggle the last Iranian election for stories on the unrest when the leading candidate for pres was removed from the vote because he did not follow the Mullahs rule of law, it was not pretty for the protestors.

Things are not all roses in Iran!

College students and younger people have tasted the western life via the internet and satellite TV, they are eager to explore and learn and do not want to be ruled by religion, especially the women in Iran, time will tell which fighter will show up.

We all see the propoganda from Iran showing the military in all it's glory and splendor with the latest gear and weapons but that won't mean a thing if the average Joe is forced to fight for a something they don't believe in.

In Los Angeles there is a satellite TV station that has been broadcasting from the US since the fall of the Shaw, these people who run the station are former Iranian citizens were forced to flee Iran.

This station broadcasts daily to Iran news of the world, news they would not get from Iranian Gov run news propaganda stations, they beam pro west programming that has the mullahs so pissed off they banned satellite dishes in Iran. The really crazy thing is that Iranian people call the US TV station using a toll free number or the net and correspond about changing Iran to a free country not run by religion.

When the bombing starts, it will be interesting to see if the Iranian forces split and fight each other for control of the country. I guess time will tell.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
NG, I noticed in one of your earlier posts that Iran uses three rifles. M16 type weapons i.e. M16/M203 combo, G-3 7.62mm rifles, AK rifles as well as its new M16 Bullpup. Plenty of weaposn but it must play hell with the logistics side of things! Thats three different types of ammo along just for infantry weapons. Does the issue of rifles very from regiment to regiment. Is it like in the Israeli army for example where certain units favour the Ak over M16/Tavor and are allowed to use it, or are weapons issued depending on what is lying around.

From your posts it would appear that Iran has developed a lot of different military tech and while it may have backward engineered a lot of US stuff from the Shah days as well as Russian tech I find it nevertheless impressive compared to other middle eastern countries which have a very poor manufacturing/technology base. Just out of interest is this indicative of Iran as a whole i.e. is Iran trying to develop itself into a modern nation with a high tech base or is the leadership mearly building up its arms manufacturing capability becuase the leadership is wary of the fact that the US surrounds it on all sides i.e. Iraq, Afgahnistan etc etc? I read somewhere that unemplyment is rather high and that a lot of Iranian students who qualify in Iranian universities are moving abroad because there are no jobs. Is this true from your experience? (Sorry to go off track a bit, but Ive never had the chance to speak to an Iranian before)

Getting back to the Military side of things. While I don't consider Iran to be a threat to the US as I would expect and US action against iran to be airstrikes followed by limited ground assaults to try and destabilise the clerical regime I think that Iran would definately be able to hold its own against any neighbours. The major threat to Iran used to be Iraq and their Army was destroyed completely in Gulf War 2.

One thing I will say about the Iranian political leadership is that they are very astute. They have many many options to use against the US without having to involve themselves directly. I think that the leadership realises that while having new guns and missles will help in the long term its best bet is to outmanouver the US on a politcial front and I think they are doing that rather well at the moment.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
to answer your questions the guns go depending on what the generals order and what suits best for its purpose, there has been some complaints and some of our people do want to kick the mullahs out but we want to do it in our way not going through war, they rather fight because if you go back to shahs time he was spending and wasting too much money on american equipment which is good but not being self-sufficent, thats why the revolution took place.

Anyways i'll start off with another Surface-to-Surface missile which is really good and is named Fateh-A110 which is controlable.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This one is good also.

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Also we have one of the best T-72's in the world, something saddam wished he had, as you can see unlike saddams our tanks have night vision in them along with fire control systems and other things making them more reliable, we also can make parts for them.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The Iranians are bluffing as Saddam did before the US-British invasion of Iraq. I doubt that the Iranian army would fight the US army in a traditional way. They would vanish and start a guerilla.

Iraq : 1800 dead soldiers in 2.5 years

Iran : 6000-7000 dead soldiers in 2.5 years

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'm not even gonna start, anyways back to the topic.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by NR]

NR

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Iranian made cobra attack helicopter.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
While Iran is able to produce indigenous weapons, they are still not "top of the shelf" hardware. To go against a well trained, well equipped, well supplied battlle tested army, navy, airforce and marines that have superior battle tested weapons, Iran would need to be able to match them in quality, quantity, tactics and replacement. Frankly they would not be much of a fight in a purely military vs military conventional war. The airpower and precision munitions advantage the U.S. has would be decisive if there were to be any hostilities. Urban warfare would bog down as it does in any military engagement, but the U.S. would not procede with land operations until Iran's infrastructure and major concentrations of armed forces were throughly degraded by airpower and guided munitions. Hopefully we will have to debate this rather then see it played out on our tv's.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by NR
irans TOWs/ATGM

looks chinese

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
What a supportive thing to say cw..

No seriously, I hope the US doesn't make another blunder with Iran, and if it does I hope the other countries do something to stop this..Esp the SCO, South Asia and Europe.. (Old Europe
)

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I think the US can only do airstrikes against Iran. Unless the situation in iraq improves really much and quikly.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I don't think the US will ever attack Iran. At the moment they are far too overstretched. Israel won't do anything either because of Hezbullah who happen to have a rather large ammount of rockets available to them, all of which are pointed at Northan Israel.

I have not problem with Iran developing these sorts of weapons because who at the moment are they gonna go up against? The Iranians aren't renound for starting wars. Like I said before, Iran is moving to manoever against the US politically and is doing a very good job. Its all a big game of chess and so far Iran seems to have covered all its pieces well.

Oh and I don't think the Iranians are bluffing either as someone said earlier. They have the oil, they have the tech an from what Ive seen in this post have already developed the home made capabilities to produce armaments which is more than Iraq ever did which got most of its stuff from USSR/Russia. Besides, I doubt there will be another war anytime soon, unless things wind up in Iraq quickly and another neocon gets in. Even then I really doubt it.

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Tell me how is our Air Force and Navy overstretched? That’s all we would need for air strikes and probably some SF on the ground which we also have.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Tell me how is our Air Force and Navy overstretched? That’s all we would need for air strikes and probably some SF on the ground which we also have.

It's just a catch phrase. Let's look at the numbers:
US Soldiers Deployed:
Iraq:approx. 138,000
Afghanistan:18,000
Africa:2000
Asia:Approx.97,000
Australia:200
Europe:116,000! There are 75,600 US soldiers in Germany alone!
Former Soviet States:1812
Misc. Middle East:6000
Western Hemisphere sans USA:2,200

And here is the kicker

Active duty units IN the USA still (or afloat near her shores):1,168,195

It's not an issue of manpower, maybe it's logistics. I for one believe that could swing into action if needed though. Hopefully it won't be.

As to not hijack the thread though, Iran is pretty impressive with its self-sustained weapons programs.

[edit on 8/30/2005 by Wiley_Wonka]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

I don't want to derail the thread either so I'll be brief! The airforce and Navy may not be overstreached, but the Army is. For every man on the front line you need two in logistics keeping him supplied. I don't know how it is in the US but when the UK went into Iraq we used a lot of our missles/bombs from our stock and it will take time before they are back to normal. Also Im not sure how much more money spent on conflict the US economy can take. The budget deficit under Bush is rather impressive. Iraq has been very very expensive.

Now back to Iranian military capability. This is some information on the new Iranian rifle the Kaybar which is basically a bullpup M16. Now China has recently entered into service a new Bullpup. Why tell you this? Well they Iranians/Chinese jointly researched future rifles together and the rifles they have now are the result. It seems the Iranians are hoping to replace the G3 with this one, so they are keepin the Barrels long on the weapon in order to retain the range they will loose from phasing out the G3. The weapon itself has also been designed around a keep it simple philosophy. There is very little to it. They have also given it a polymer shell like the Iraeli Tavor/Steyr Aug etc etc.

On the whole the design is modular, i.e. you can change barrels etc from carbine to sharpe shooter.

What I would be interested to know is how reliable it is. The M16 method of operation (while effective, Im not dissing the M16) blasts a lot of gasses back onto the face of the bolt which can lead to stoppages if the bolt face is not cleaned often enough. I wonder if they have taken steps to solve this problem. Secondly, Im not sure how strong it is looking at how thin things get behind the pistol grip in the way of casing. Does anyone know how its trisl went?

This is a link to a forum contining lots more (and I mean lots more!) photos of Iranian weapons

www.militaryphotos.net...

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Wiley_Wonka,
Umm ok firstly a soldier is a person in the army.
A sailor is the navy.
An airman is airforce.

The US has just over a tenth of its men and women on deployment...
46% of its fleet is "away from home port" and 36% of it is in "home port" I hardly call that "over stretched"..

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm no military expert, but I think iran would have to worry about the decapitation techniques we have refined since afghanistan and Iraq. I don't mean literally decapitating people, but cutting the leaders off from their generals.

All that fancy hardware dosn't mean doo diddly if they don't know what their orders are. Plain and simple.

4 hours into this thang, and they are in a communications black out, and all they know is we are coming, and they don't know how to stop it.

seriously, the one thing that shocked me about Iraq is that they couldn't fly at night. Does Iran have this capability ? If not, they won't last 3 days

NR

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

seriously, the one thing that shocked me about Iraq is that they couldn't fly at night. Does Iran have this capability ? If not, they won't last 3 days

Of course Iran has the capability bro, if you look at the first page in this thread and watch the video, you can see their F-4's flying at night time along with our tanks and other military equipment which saddam didnt have, our other aircrafts can do it as well. I also wanted to post way more pics but due to admin telling me to stop it had to come to an end.

[edit on 30-8-2005 by NR]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Wiley_Wonka,
Umm ok firstly a soldier is a person in the army.
A sailor is the navy.
An airman is airforce.

The US has just over a tenth of its men and women on deployment...
46% of its fleet is "away from home port" and 36% of it is in "home port" I hardly call that "over stretched"..

I realize that, it was the whole point of my post. Perhaps you misunderstood me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join