It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the same company responsible for both blackouts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Same Company Behind NY & London Blackouts

This certainly raises some questions if it is true... I would be interested in checking out the owners and backgrounds of this company if it is true...

After the Northeastern blackout, we quoted author Greg Palast, who blamed it on NiMo, the merger between Niagara Mohawk and the English company National Grid. Due to recent deregulation, they no longer have to maintain the vast Northeast power grid to earlier standards. Last week, there was a blackout in London, and guess what company controls that power grid? National Grid again.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
yeah my dad, said it was the same company...

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I heard this from my mom, of all people. I guess she heard it on the news or something. either this company is spectacularly incompetent, or something fishy is going on. it's kind of a toss-up in my mind, I like conspiracies as much as the next person, but I also know there's a LOT of things that can go horribly wrong with infrastructure.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Looks to be true!

www.niagaramohawk.com...
"Welcome to Niagara Mowhawk, a National Grid company"

news.bbc.co.uk...
"National Grid switched the transformer out of service at 1820 BST and power was still able to flow into London through other circuits. "

And, to tie it all together---
www.nationalgrid.com...
"National Grid Transco plc is an international energy delivery business, whose principal activities are in the regulated electricity and gas industries. In the UK we own and operate the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, and Britain's natural gas transportation system. In the US we are one of the top ten electricity companies, with the largest electricity transmission and distribution network in the New England/New York region."

National Grid's board:
www.ngtgroup.com...

Data on their power lines & other areas of business:
www.ngtgroup.com...
(They do natural gas AND electricity!)

-B.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Granted it is quite common for energy companies to run both electric and natural gas, especially considering the growing use of natural gas to run gas turbine for electrical generation... (which is the main reason for the spike in natural gas prices a couple of years ago, even though it is the most abundant fossil fuel available).

Hmmm... so what do we know about the owners of this company? Are they connected to any other companies, say, Halliburton, or other politically connected companies?

Considering the factionalization of forces apparently at work lately, perhaps this company is a major money maker for one faction of the Cabal, and this was an attack by the other?

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
A bit of local background -
National Grid and Powergen - privatisations of the UK National Grid
Transco - British Gas Privatisation of Gas provision in the UK.
Utility companies combined during the late 90's - as i believe Transco bought into the Canadian system about 1994 (correct me if im wrong). This is deregulation of the uK system leading to cash rich companies seeking overseas aquisition.

As for colusion - well all i can say that at one of the utilities I saw the inside workings of - now way - more like sheer incompetance - these are old nationalised institutions with old systems and backdated working practices.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
FWIW - here is the board of NGT

www.ngtgroup.com...

If you recognise any let me know -

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

Hmmm... so what do we know about the owners of this company? Are they connected to any other companies, say, Halliburton, or other politically connected companies?

Considering the factionalization of forces apparently at work lately, perhaps this company is a major money maker for one faction of the Cabal, and this was an attack by the other?

National Grid might have something to hide.
Why did TWO of the nuclear stations they provide power & other services to go offline *2 days* before the UK blackout?
uk.biz.yahoo.com...
uk.biz.yahoo.com...

NGT Group is "investor owned"
production.investis.com...

It's going to be hard to find out who the "investors" are, but we can try.

-B.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Why did TWO of the nuclear stations they provide power & other services to go offline *2 days* before the UK blackout? Posted by Banshee

Sounds a bit too much like they knew something was coming and took some steps to prepare....

I notice that the reason given was "manually taken offline due to a problem"... that problem is unspecified.

Just remember, there are no coincidences...

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Im sorry but being resident in the country and knowing the system - Dragonrider i respect your posts but this isnt what happened - I guess I have a little more faith in our system than you do. Given your knowledge and posts I would ask if you know the game of prisoners dilema - and the folly of the belief in coincidences.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
Im sorry but being resident in the country and knowing the system - Dragonrider i respect your posts but this isnt what happened - I guess I have a little more faith in our system than you do. Given your knowledge and posts I would ask if you know the game of prisoners dilema - and the folly of the belief in coincidences.

I can respect your skepticism, but I would point out that we (OK, Banshee for the most part) has done some really outstanding research here, and the facts speak for themselves. I would invite you to do some research and find some facts to speak to your side of the arguement if you feel differently.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Wait, what didn't happen?
The nuclear stations being taken offline?
Both links in my last post show that it did happen....

-B.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Powere Stations are taken off line all the time - Dungness happens to be one of our oldest so it doesnt surprise me. We also happen to have plenty of coal fired and oil fired stations in this country that it isnt a big deal - nuclear was always our third choice (and given wind and wave production 4th hoice) in this Island. So taking a couple off-line here is no big deal - and given the power cut - we had enough of them in the 70s this was no big deal. Thats all - I wasnt disputing the fact they were brought down. Just it aint a big deal here.

posted on Sep, 1 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Sorry if i came off rude last post - I didnt mean to. I worry sometimes that people like to read too much into things - the UK is not the US - we are a common people separated by a common language. But by nature we think the same ways and arrive at the same conclusions. However I do have a problem with this topic as a conspiracy - In a week when our Prime Minister faced the equivalent of the Starr report - a power cut was a trifle.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Blah blah blah

First the old transformer was blown, so the staff rerooted it. Then two NEW transformers were blown on the other line so they had no chice but to shut it down.

Just wait for 11th smart boy.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Silk:

Please note that the facts we are finding are just not adding up to "it was a coincidence". It just so happens that this same company, the very same one that had a massive power disruption in New York, 2 weeks to the day before a similar scale power disruption in London, just happened to take both nuclear reactors that would be affected in the outage area, offline 2 days prior?

Please note, there are no coincidences.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Dragonrider

Thanks for the post - but could you claify "the same scale" - I live in London and didnt have a powercut - and have lived in NYC so know the geographical area affected - so if there are proofs of them both affecting the same population and commercial operations could you please point them out to me. To me the outage in the Southern London area was by no ways in the scale of the North Eastern US Blackout - actually it reminded me of blackouts we have had most summers for the last few years - and made the news on the basis of a recent event somewhere else.

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Freeman

I do hope you meant that in jest - we all morn the 11th - some of us lost friends in NYC that day - and to "watch" and be proved wrong would be the most horiffic thing i can immagine. FWIW I have lived under the shadow of terrorism - and have experienced the reality of it. To be proved wrong by you might give you a thrill of being proved right - but im afraid being wrong and you right worrys me far less than the things I have seen in my life - and hope you never even come close to experiencing.

Terrorism is something the US is only just comming to terms with - when you have gone to school with kids who have lost parents, met military people have lost lives on home territory - and learnt to live with armoured cars on your streets - being right doesnt always feel so good.

top topics

join