It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: United Nations Reports Iraqi Devastated Marshlands Recovering Fast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In a good news story from Iraq, the marshlands drained by Saddam Hussein have recovered back to 40 percent of their original levels. Hussein drained the swamps in punishment to the occupants of the region but after he was toppled residents returned and broke the barriers which let the water back in to the region. The area is inhabited by people living on small islands and boats as they have done for thousands of years.

www.planetark.com
Some scholars view the marshlands, at the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates river, as the site of the original "Garden of Eden" in the Bible.

Saddam began moving against the Marsh Arabs in the early 1990s, accusing them of supporting a Shi'ite Muslim uprising after the first Gulf War and harbouring criminals.

A combination of dams and canals blocked water from the marshes, turning what was once a pristine, wetland ecosystem into semi-desert and forcing all but 40,000 of the area's 450,000 inhabitants to flee.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is great news and some positive information to come to us from the region. In a land devasted by warfare, there is new life and the planet is recovering from the effects of this devastation. Hopefully more stories like that hit the wires showing recovery instead of massive widespread devastation of our lands and peoples.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I remember hearing about this in history class last year and this truely is good news. I'm glad that at least something's been accomplished in Iraq, maybe more good news will follow.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I was wondering what was happening with this marshland and its people, it's great that it's being restored.

Thanks for sharing Mayet.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I also remember this story being around, a while ago though.

It's great to see they're finally recovering back to their original way of life. I'm sure they are much happier.

new topics

top topics

join