It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domino effect in the middle east?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I dont want another debate about the invasion of Iraq however I do want to cover some of reasons for not supporting the war.

I never brought the whole argument that the war was about Iraqs supposed WMDs. It appeared to be a logical fallacy there were/are other countries that posses WMDs no one said how Iraqs were any worse. Add to this the fact that the Bush admin went out of it way to alienate it allies and the UN a case could be hardly made for the war.

Now onto my point assuming Iraq has a democratic future will the domino effect take place?
If the Bush and his allies had come clean and said that the war was about spreading democracy and not about WMDs I would have probaly supported the invasion.
In other words will democracy spread thou the middle east like melted butter?
Can you support the war in Iraq but be against the Bush admin?

The theroy seems great remove Saddam a trouble maker in the region and remove the need for neighboring countries to spend excessive money on defence. Im not entirely sure the domino effect was anything more then american cold war thinking. Mind you the some what flawed assumption seems to be made that Vietnam by itself prevented the fall of SW asia to the communists.

Can we have some middle ground and debate the issues I have raised?

[edit on 26-8-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The Orange Revolution, the Arab Springtime, the Cedar Revolution of Lebanon. All of this which was considered to be a blooming "domino effect" of democracy has vanished and the same or worse continues onward today. It appears that this theory which has been hyped before as a means to boost war support has died already.

new topics

join