It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Science 1960 Fun Math Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I got this from a friend, and it was quite a bit of fun. Since we don't have a puzzle forum in BTS, I guess it's going to be general chit chat. It comes out of a Popular Science magazine from April of 1960 (page 22). Here's the problem as it appeared in Popular Science:

If you don't want any hints or anyone to give the answer away, I suggest you stop reading now and try to figure it out. Dunno if this will be popular here, but I sure enjoyed solving it. Have a good time!

EDIT: Added the image

[edit on 8-25-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It's too early for math questions! But I can never seem to keep myself from trying.

Here's my first wrong answer for you: 25, 3, 3

Break the bad news to me gently please.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Break the bad news to you? How could I

Yew got her right!

Now one quick question for you: was there any extra information in the problem to throw you off?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
To be honest, if there was I didn't notice it.

Broke it down to prime and then worked out the combo's. Only two added up to the same number and of those, only one had a single 'eldest'. I worked under the assumption that the census guy knew the house number and that was the reason for the final question.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
To be honest, if there was I didn't notice it.

Broke it down to prime and then worked out the combo's. Only two added up to the same number and of those, only one had a single 'eldest'. I worked under the assumption that the census guy knew the house number and that was the reason for the final question.

There ya go! There wasn't, but I was just checking to see if you guessed which of the 6 factor combinations applied instead of getting it through the address

Great job!

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Ah, the ever popular guess and check system.

I used to get in so much trouble with that in school.

Teacher: Why didn't you show your work?
Me: I didn't do any. I just knew that was the answer.

It drove them nuts.....

top topics

join