It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Alberta crops hit by patchy frost overnight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Exactly one year ago Canada's grain belt was hit by an early frost as well. Now this year parts of Alberta's crops were hit by patchy frost overnight. People should take note of this. Here are two cases in the past two years of early frosts having an impact on crops. It doesn't take much more before crops start getting wiped out. An extra week earlier or perhaps a degree or two colder may be all the difference it takes.

"Temperatures dipped to and just below zero degrees Celsius (32 F) in the Peace River region, around Whitecourt, and outside of Edmonton and Calgary, Underwood said.

The coldest recorded temperature was -0.2 C at the Edmonton airport."

"The temperatures were cold enough to hurt crops in some areas, depending on how far advanced they were, said Bruce Burnett, director of weather and crop surveillance for the Canadian Wheat Board."

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Indeed, I just experienced my first August frost, two nights ago. I live Northern New England, in the mountains. It was a sight to behold, frost melting under a summer sun.

Strange, no?

Does it mean we're in for a brutal, short winter, followed by another long summer of blistering temperatures? Probably.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Next time you see something like that would you mind grabbing some pics and posting them here. I think things like this would be great to preserve in the archives.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I remember last August well, we had some snow on August 28th in Calgary. There may be a bit of that in store for us this year, the forecast calls for snow above 6500 feet in the foothills tonight.

It's rare, but not without precedent. Our other August snowfalls were in 1900, 1946 and 1992 (two days).

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Our crops were ruined by that frost last year. While this year it didnt get that cold here on that particular day, it did dip down low on other days. The coldest I have had, according to our digital thermometer memeroy is 3 degrees c.

I live in eastern saskatchewan, close to the manitoba border.

Speaking of harvests, today it poured.

Our swathed crops are gonna get wrecked. This year is VERY much like last year. Its quite strange...

Hopefully it picks up again.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
1992 was also the year Indianapolis experienced by far its coldest late June day on record with a low of 37 degrees on the 22nd. That was after smashing the record low the day before with a 41. Next closest record low to that +/- weeks was a 44. That was the summer following the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
We just received a ton of rain, and it doesnt look like its going to get any better. Lots of crops are on the ground....

Two bad years in a row..

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
That's a real bummer about the frost ... alot of the farmers around here in Vermont have already harvested at least the corn crops. We had a bit of frost the other night as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You're on to something. This year has unstable summer on the north hemisphere. What a coincidence I have this newspapers from june 10th
Politika; Serbia and Montenegro
Electric consumption like November
my basic story translation:
Snow was falling on Kopaonik 24 hours, electric company had to import electricity.
Usual electric consumtion is 80 to 90 million KWh in June, but that day was 300 to 400 milion KWh. Temperature was -2C and dense fog shortned visibility to 50m.
Not to mention damage crops suffered in that region, all this on 43 N latitude
In the latter part of the story they mention some climate disasters like:
1910 Paris
Flood
1928 London
Heavy raining storm in the North Sea
1911 to 1915
Dry weather lowered level of lake Chad and reduced Nile. Every second citizen of Northern Nigeria died, and cattle was cut to two thirds.
1931 in China
Flood: great rivers put in danger 25% of the population and made 400000 casualties.
and so on.
These stories can lead you to search on the net for links about climate changes.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
We had record flooding this past June, even now we are at near flood levels, so it was almost a sick joke that Environment Canada released the statistics of a 30 year study done 1971-2000. Their conclusion is that Alberta has the best climate in Canada.

BC placed 2nd, Saskatchewan was 3rd.

www.canoe.ca...

Now the weathermen have lost all credibility whatsoever.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yes saskatchewan has a great climate. Those -45c winters are just breathtaking... litrally. Its fun having your lungs freeze.

top topics

join