It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian SAS Undergo Torture Resistance Training.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The Australian Special Air Service Regiment are undergoing intensive training with regard to torture resistance. This has been approved by the highest levels of the Government, as a result of an enemy who does not abide by the Geneva Conventions. Defence Minister Robert Hill has confirmed that the army's interrogation training manual is being updated for the first time since 2001.

www.news.com.au
A spokesman for the Defence Department said last night they now "assumed" enemy interrogators might not comply with the Geneva Conventions.

"Not all combatants faced by the ADF (Australian Defence Force) abide by the Geneva Convention and the laws of armed conflict," he said. "ADF personnel need to be prepared and made aware of what they may face after capture."

Senator Hill acknowledged earlier this year that if the army's training techniques were used on prisoners of war, they would be inbreach of the 1949 Geneva Conventions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As Australia is a well regarded ally of America, Britain and many other countries, i wonder what the collective thinking of allied governments is in regard to the Geneva Conventions. Judging by this revelation, i would hazard a guess. Not much.

But, terrorists hardly consult the Geneva Convention 'handbook' when they conduct their operations.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I'm sure what they classify as torture training would be nothing in comparison to what would really happen in true circumstances. But for soldiers who are the most likely to be killed or captured in action i think its definately a good thing.

As for the Geneva convention. I'm sure most countries would stricly abide by them, though no doubt if they can find a way they'll get around them as it only applies to POW's don't it? to me there's no doubt that all countries practise torture when driven to desperation.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The Geneva Conventions cover an extremely broad range of topics, not all of them relating to POWs. The prohibit, for example, "Attacks against crops, livestock and agricultural areas needed for food production for the civilian population" (Protocol I, Art. 54 , Sec. 2). The following sites provide some excellent information on the Conventions, including the full texts:

Reference Guide to the Geneva Conventions

Alphabetical Listing of Articles

As for the torture training, I suppose that if soldiers were made more aware of the type of techniques they might conceivable face, they may be more prepared to survive such procedures should the need arise. I too feel that any training would fall far short of the reality, but surely awareness is one of the soldier's best tools? I had assumed that the SAS undertook torture training as a matter of course. If this training needs to be updated to better reflect the emerging reality, then so be it.

[edit on 24/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
i dunno, have any of you been through any type of SAS or other special forces training. i talked to a guy in my town who was considering doing it, he said they needed to take huge amounts of steroids just to keep going, not as any sort of supplement, but just to make it through the normal SAS training.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
How can you prepare someone to resist a bullet to the head in front of a TV camera?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

How can you prepare someone to resist a bullet to the head in front of a TV camera?

You can't. But you might be able to train them not to reveal any critical information when they are facing a bullet to the head. That, I think, is the primary reason for torture training, to ensure that soldiers are prepared, to a certain extent, to undergo torture and not reveal critical secrets or information.

Certainly there are groups and individuals who torture simply to inflict pain or humiliation, but I would think that most torture situations arise out of a need to coax information from an enemy soldier. It is this aspect of torture that training might help soldiers to cope with.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The army SF and Rangers have almost the same thing. It's called SEAR training. About dam time the aussies caught up! sorry for the short post.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's SERE not SEAR, Survival Escape Resistance and Evasion. Part of it involves a simulated caputer and interrogation to prepare Special Operations Forces for the real thing. Given you can't simulate the real thing and the instructors can't go as far as those who don't abide by Geneva.

And its not just Greenies and Rangers, every man who serves in the field under Special Operations Command must graduate SERE course.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Baphomet79]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
When i joined the army in 82, they were using torture techniques in training. Most people dont know what soldiers go through. Soldiers are told to shut up, and being robotic trained killers, we shut up.

Ex digger

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
It's SERE not SEAR, Survival Escape Resistance and Evasion. Part of it involves a simulated caputer and interrogation to prepare Special Operations Forces for the real thing. Given you can't simulate the real thing and the instructors can't go as far as those who don't abide by Geneva.

And its not just Greenies and Rangers, every man who serves in the field under Special Operations Command must graduate SERE course.

[edit on 29-8-2005 by Baphomet79]

Actually, it goes a bit further than that. There are others that go through that training as well. The wikipedia article is general... but accurate on a few points.

SERE

I can't get into details, but suffice it to say that it is based on those things learned in wars past (when the Geneva convention wasn't followed, if you get my drift).

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
They do the same thing with the N.Z SAS.There was a documentary series about the training and selection process for them a couple years back and the last episode touched on this.Of course they didn't let the cameras see what was going on but the final phase was to be captured, tortured and humiliated.It also mentioned how the guys who pass form a stronger bond because they have been through it together.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
the australian sas is ranked 3 in the world the british sas is ranked number 1.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Army training is one the best highs I've ever head, you feel like 10 men once basic training is completed. You're lean, fit and mind is totally switched on. The training staff push you beyond what you think you're capable of and that for me is the secret, new boundaries are suddenly opened up. You will happily fight to the death for your friends because they'd do the same for you. I can't comment on SF training, but I'd guess it's a similar feeling. Torture resistance training is nothing new though. Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance ;-)

[edit on 11-2-2009 by CrabPaste!!!]

[edit on 11-2-2009 by CrabPaste!!!]

top topics

join