It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: War Games - New Zealand Allowed to Come and Play With USA and Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Since the mid 1980's when New Zealand became a Nuclear Free nation the Pacific country has been banned from partaking in any military exercises with the USA. That all changed this week with New Zealand being invited to join the USA and Australia in war games off Singapore in an exercise to seek out WMD. Overall 13 nations are taking part in the war games involving a ship that may have carried nuclear weapons.

www.nzherald.co.nz
The United States has let New Zealand take part in a multi-national military exercise off Singapore, but is refusing to say whether it signals a wider thaw in the Anzus defence standoff.

Dubbed "Deep Sabre", it will feature a maritime interdiction scenario, with defence forces tasked with intercepting "target ships" carrying weapons of mass destruction.

About 2,000 troops from the United States, Japan, Singapore, Britain, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia and Italy took part in the drills.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems that everyone is practising using their military at the moment and testing their capabilities along with the oppositions.

It is interesting to note that the very week that the man who banned the USA nuclear ships from entering his country died, this all began and New Zealand has made moves towards reconciliation.

Related News Links:
www.sciencedaily.com

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I don't think it's a move towards "reconciliation" at all. I think it's a move to learn the best way to interdict WMDs that are being transported on ships, and they were smart to take advantage of it, and I'm glad to see the US didn't try to keep them out of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Well it is a move towards reconciliation between the two nations. Up to now New Zealand has not been allowed to partake of these exercises and it always did make sense that they should of been included.

This is a first in around 20 years so its a giant leap.

cjf

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It would be both difficult and ridiculous to exclude the Kiwi soldiers as they have been giving direct support to the coalition, provided security services in Iraq and whose engineers are aiding in the establishment and construction of modern infrastructure inside both Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Honestly, in a completely innocent way, I can't believe that New Zealand has a navy. I've never even thought they would require one, but it seems obvious they must. Good for them, everyone with the capability should be allowed to participate in events that are designed for safety. Go NZ!

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
i say NZ should have been included all the War Games before

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
If they have all the equipment let them go for it I say

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ruggeder
Honestly, in a completely innocent way, I can't believe that New Zealand has a navy. I've never even thought they would require one, but it seems obvious they must. Good for them, everyone with the capability should be allowed to participate in events that are designed for safety. Go NZ!

As an Island nation, they would be silly NOT to have a Navy. But having said that, it isn't very big, but the Kiwi's have always been a peaceable lot

Royal New Zealand Navy - Official Site

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This is great news for the New Zealand Defence forces.
AND GREAT FOR THEIR MORALE FOR THE TROOPS

[edit on 24-12-2005 by Jezza]

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
CANada, U.K., U.S., N.Z., and AUStralia have always had a special relationship in all things until N.Z. more or less broke away from the pack. It is good to welcome them back, they have a small, but excellent Navy and the rest of their military isn't so bad either.

[edit on 24-12-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
That all changed this week with New Zealand being invited to join the USA and Australia in war games off Singapore in an exercise to seek out WMD.

I wonder if they'll find Saddam's WMD's in Singapore. Seems they've allegedly been shipped to everywhere from Syria, to Iran, to Russia. Why not Singapore? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *sigh*

Sorry, just coudn't resist...

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It's called China...

The United State's knows there is going to be a build up of the Chinese Military and that in the long term, they will push to be the main power in the region. In the event of a war, they need to have the other Nation's, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, et al's, to be involved along side them and they will need to know what their military can do.

It is also a good response, to the Russian/Chinese one.

top topics

join