It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Molestation of the Word Hypocrite.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Hypocrit is a word, no matter their political affiliation, that people just love to use. If someone disagrees with your opinion, you're a hypocrite. If you support the war in Iraq, you're a hypocrite. If you're for abortion, you're a hypocrite. The throwing around of this word has gotten almost as bad as the over-use of the word Nazi. I'm tired of this! Recently, I was called a hypocrite in the ATS chatroom. I don't know why I was a hypocrite, I think it's because a certain person just plain doesn't like me. Apparently, a hypocrite is a smart word to use against anybody who you don't like. Instead of "Yer gay", "You're a hypocrite".

Straight from dictionary.com

Hypocrite: n : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold.

There you have it! Stop using this word as a means to gain an advantage in a debate or an argument!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
You know what...I think you're a HYPOCRITE!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Someone come watch Herman swing that hammer because he just hit that nail right on the head! The sad truth Herman is that most of the posters on these forums are in need of a solid education. They type words they do not understand using them out of proper context and the words they do understand they misspell.

However, in their defense...

Herman the Hypocrite does rhyme!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
You know what...I think you're a HYPOCRITE!!!

!!*Gasp*!! I knew it! You've been a pinko commie spy all this time, studying my every move just to foil me at last moment. DAMN YOU!!!

Someone come watch Herman swing that hammer because he just hit that nail right on the head!

Wohoo! Go Herman, go Herman *Realizes he's made an ass out of himself and stops singing.*

The sad truth Herman is that most of the posters on these forums are in need of a solid education. They type words they do not understand using them out of proper context and the words they do understand they misspell.

Indeed. Words like Neo-Con, Nazi, blind, etc. etc. have been seriously mis-used. The most you can do is just call the people out who are using the words, and try to teach them a lesson. Still, people are going to use whatever tactic they have to (In this case: being overly extreme) to push their point of view.

However, in their defense...

Herman the Hypocrite does rhyme!

Curse you alliteration!!!!

[edit on 18-8-2005 by Herman]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If I well remember the word Hypocrite come sfrom Greek and it used to mean "Actor"... so...i guess anyone who pretend to be what their not... is an Hypocrite...?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Yeah, but unfortunately a lot of people use it where it doesn't belong, BaastetNoir. People like to use that word to belittle their political opponents, and that's just ignorance.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Yeah, it does seem to be the word of the week or something... I can't tell you how much I've heard it tossed around lately!

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Another word being misused: Terrorist. I hear people calling Bush a terrorist, and that's just completely ridiculous, even if you don't agree with what he's doing. Terrorists use fear as a means of coercion. Terrorists bomb a building full of civilians to scare the people of the country into giving in to their demands. Terrorists are not people who rage war, no matter how you feel about said war.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm sorry. I don't understand. What have hippos and crits got to do with anything?

I mean, I can understand somebody calling Dubya Bush a terrorist, because he is a hypocrite!

Machine you are so right! Most of the people on these sites are hypocrits because they spout all kind of rubbish and when you try to explain that because they're moaning about stuff, people have [usually] fought and died so that they can rant and rave about things, they then turn on you and call you a hypocrit.
'em!

top topics

join