It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Windows 2000 Worm

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Windows 2000 Bug Starts Virus War.

A war has broken out between hackers behind viruses that exploit a recently discovered loophole in Windows 2000.
The viruses written by the competing hacker groups are fighting it out for supremacy on infected machines.

Some of the variants seek out and delete rival viruses they find on machines they manage to penetrate.

The slew of malicious programs exploiting the loophole caused trouble for many organisations early this week as the bugs began infecting computers.

BBC
Symantec Alerts

This is why i use a Mac'.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
It has allready been touched on, but do the same people who protect us with virus software also make the viruses? That doesn't mean this is the case. Just a question?

And are these virus threats a covert way of locking down the internet, and exerting control? Similar to the possible fear tactics involved with the "terrorist" attacks of late. Think about how the internet will become if it gets further and further locked down. Allready if you run an internet business you have to watch your wording so your e-mail doesn't get snagged by spam filters.

Are these "protective" measures actually steel bars coming down on our freedom?

What do you guys think?

Troy

I think that you may have a point there. I have often wondered why there is a fix for a virus so quickly after it is discovered, but I think that it is more for economical reasons than a way of "exerting control".

I also believe that computer crashes happen by design. I had to take an engineering class called "Design Obsolesence" the idea of this class was how to design for a machine to perform a certain number of cycles before breaking. The objective was to make your machine run long enough that the customer felt that they had gotten their moneys worth. After that time the machine was to fail forcing them to buy a new one. The new trend in this is to use a computer chip in the machine that counts the number of cycles or how long a machine runs and then the chip won't let it run any more. Of course the chip is propriatary and can't be replaced forcing the purchase of a new unit.

In my opinion the creators of computer viruses are collaborating with the makers of anti-virus software so that both of them can make money. Viruses were not that big an issue until the anti-virus industry started selling subscription services. The other thing that I find ironic is that the anti-virus people cannot be held liable if your computer catches a virus while you are subscribed to their service.

Add in the collusion between the computer hardware manufacturers and Microsoft. Microsoft gives the hardware people access to the code that they need to create the drivers for their product and in exchange they make the hardware so that it will only work on certain versions of Windows.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Thanks JIMC5499. Computers remind me of our cars. If I'm not mistaken, aren't cars designed to fail?

Troy

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
This is just one more example of why so many people are switching to Mac OS X and Linux.

No one should have to put up with this kinda crap.

I think things will get even more interesting once MS finally releases Vista.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think you're right on that. So does my Dad. Microsoft is evil, I would like a Mac OS X or higher as a computer, but I think those are expensive. Bill Gates, I don't like him all that much. A ploy by Microsoft...sounds like Bill Gates alright! Bill Gates, the richest person in the world (who isn't dead) wants more money!!!! People amaze me at their selfishness sometimes.

Sincerely,

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but I HATE
Macs. That's all my school has and i just wanna throw the thing across the room anytime I have to use it. I'll never get a Mac...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Mac OS X is still proprietary crappola. Linux is still not ready for the masses yet, but allot of work is being put into it to make sure it will be soon.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Oh oh, here it goes.

You've started a windows / mac war.

Anyway, each model of pc has its drawbacks. Just be alert to the updates and news alerts and you'll be fine no matter what you use.

If you have problems with either type of pc, well, we do have a computer help forum on BTS......

makeitso

[edit on 22-8-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have used all three types, and IMO only I prefer Linux. I have played around with Fedora, Ubentu, SLack, Mandrake and Red Hat(prior to moving to Fedora). I beleive it iis ready for prime time, but people have to learn how to use computers.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Please by all means,
if you are content with Windows OS, then I'm fine with it.

I know way too many previous Windows hardliners who have switched or added Mac OS X
to worry about anyone who isn't even willing to consider their alternatives.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Microsoft is adequete for my home needs. Linux for Business all the way. Gotta love dual boot. I don't know why people put up with Mac. It's overprices, overhyped with little VDGame Support, even less then Linux for feck sakes. I am no M$oft fan, but I like Apple even less. I do give them Kudos to they're IPod success, too bad it falls prey to the proprietary mentality. It's very difficult to transfer songs cuz they are kissing hollywoods ass right now, showing they know all about IP Protection so they won't pull the rug out from under apple when IFlicks is ready to roll out. I see Apples future in the High-End High Margen Living Room PC Market not the Desktop Market, that will continue to be dominated by PC's, what OS Going foward 20-30 years is another question entirely.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
There are several very impressive dual core machines coming out in the P/C world, but these machines
are hardly affordable by the mainstream user.
I priced out 2 different Alienware ALX systems at $5300 and $7200 for the stand alone CPU.

I won't argue that these machines " currently " offer some of the finest hardware available, especially
in their GPU configurations with PCI-e and SLI cards.

I'm also aware that I could build a comparable system cheaper if I had the time.

Even so, not one of the Windows based systems I looked at offered the ease of use, stability and security
that I have with my PowerMac G5 dual 2.0. system for $1699
I did opt for the Dell 2405 24" display for less than $800 ( shipped ) over the Apple 23"

Until you've actually used Mac OSX on a regular basis. it hard to imagine what it's like to
NEVER worry about adware, spyware or any effective virus. I MEAN ZERO! NADA!
Seemless Multi-tasking is also the strong point of running Mac OS X Tiger

Last week I arrived at the office to see most of my coworkers sitting around waiting for the IT staff
to give the all clear before they could return to work.

One of my close friends handles most of their security and he looked completely frazzled after
a long night of troubleshooting.

I just smiled and said " you poor S.O.B.

A few links.....

www.extremetech.com...
www.extremetech.com...
www.computerworld.com...
www.microsoft-watch.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Some dual core PCs are actually reasonable. My current PC is from Tiger Direct. It's an E-machines, and runs quite well as far as I can tell. Not a dual core, but just saying there are affordable, good, PCs out there. It was cheap and it does the job better than the previous PC which was more than twice the price. Yeah, if you want the utmost cutting edge you might pay thousands of dollars. But for the normal user, staying a little behind in technology gets you a good PC, without having to take out a 3 year loan at the bank for a PC that will be outdated in a few years.

Anyway, Windows is just the most used OS, it probably would be hard to turn so many people around to another OS. I don't know if that's a bad thing or not? Windows gets the job done, and right now I don't have a major need to use a different system. That's not to say a MAC is bad though.

Does a MAC have fewer virus problems?

Troy

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
We run both Windows XP and Mac OS X here at our home.

The Sony Vaio upstairs has been fine as far as hardware goes, but the constant maintenance required to keep it working trouble free is a PITA.
My kids are quite computer savvy, but after years of crashes, freezes, fresh installs and the loss of some very important data, we finally ran one last fresh OS install and retired the VAIO for offline gaming and offline office documents.
Any online work is now restricted to our 2 Macs and we already plan to replace the VAIO CPU with a
Mac Mini ASAP.

There are ZERO effective viruses for Mac OS X

Adware and Spyware is also not an issue for Mac OS X

A few proof of concept trojans have been written to attack OSX, but
none have been effective and could never replicate to multiple users.
You can not install any applications under OSX without the administrators password
with the exception of a few mini apps that can be installed by drag and drop as long as
the administrator is logged in.

Setting up Mac OS X for multiple users is easy and this allows the administrator to limit
permissions for any secondary accounts preventing unauthorized software installations.

In fact, many users will deliberately set up a secondary SUPER USER account for all their normal daily
functions and only log on as administrator for installations and maintenance.

The greatest threat to any individual user's system comes from downloading questionable
" 3rd party " software off of P2P networks. So the key is to know your sources.

No operating system is perfect, but Mac OS X is the way to go if you simply want your system
to work without all the hassle and security issues plaguing MS Windows.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
As the first post said, a way to forse people to upgrade.There was also recently a virus that for all 2000oporating systems were attacked allmost instantly affter they accesed the internet, unless they had virus protection.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This 2000 worm was released before most IT administrators had a chance to update the virus definitions.
Since then something like 11 variations have been released.

Over the next 24 month Microsoft will be making a major effort to convince corporate business
that Microsoft Vista is the solution to all their problems.

The IT industry will be forced to make some very difficult and expensive long term decisions.

The cost to replace existing hardware, software and licensing to conform to Vista compatibility will be tremendous for a yet to be proven operating system.

In the same time frame, Apple will offer their newest Intel based hardware capable of booting to Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.

This tripple threat could prove to sway many CIO's to reconsider their long range game plan.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I didn't know Mac was so crappy. Is Apple part of Macs? Sorry if this does sound like a stupid question.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
ER UM Gee?

Apple just makes iPods

Macintosh Computers are made by intelligent design

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This just in over at eWeek

Webroot Software Inc.'s State of Spyware Report for the second quarter of 2005, claims that 80 percent of enterprise computers are infected with some kind of adware or spyware. Rates of infections of malicious programs such as Trojan horse and keylogging software did not decrease between the first and second quarter, despite more awareness of the danger of spyware.

www.eweek.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join