It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something weird with the magnetic field happening?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hey I just heard about the plane crash in Venezula, and shorty after heard about a chopper crash in Afganistan. That and the crash in Greece adds to the total. So I started to realize, pretty weird coincidence.

That and this may seem pretty unrealated but recently my wireless connection wasn't working at all recently, and nobody in my family did anything to it. Then oddly after about 3 days it started to work again without any work or even touching the equipment.

Anyhow this may seem pretty loosely based but I've been thinking, is something going on with the magnetic field? At first I was thinking maybe we got hit with some solar winds from a nasty solar flare. But then I heard about that earthquake in Japan, and remembered 2004 seemed to be pretty active, geologically speaking that is. So anybody think that the magnetic field is changing around a bit or something?

[edit on 8/16/2005 by cyberdude78]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Earths magentic field

I think this might help exlpain a little bit more about your questions on the magnetic field. I have been intrigued by this as well but don't think i can take it in as any real solution to your problem.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Yes... and no....

the earths magnetism has been showing some anomolies... and it is predicted that it will switch polarity someday... if/when it does... your wi-fi connection will be the least of your worries...

could it affect planes? not in the way they went down... one was from decompression... there is O effect on compression level from magnetism.

could it affect the frequency of earthquakes... you bet!

Could it affect the weather? yep
could it affect the ocean temps? probably (indirectly)
would it matter? nope, because when it happens, It will happen fast...
and we are probably all toast during the transition... I doubt we could survive the lack of the magnetic protection we enjoy now...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A few months ago a thunderstorm came through New Mexico from the East heading west. The weathermen were awestruck. Their storms always go from west to east maybe sw to ne, but never E to W. It was mostly an electric storm. My Dad and I had been talking about the earths magnetic feild and how all storms in the northern hemisphere rotate counter clockwise and all storms in the southern hemisphere rotate clockwise. I had noticed a few days prior to this storm when I was watching satelite images of the weather in the ocean via weatherunderground.com that the meeting place of the northern and southern hemisphere was no longer stationary. There were some storms that were rotating clockwise in a counterclockwise area. Later they would go back to normal. Anyway with this storm that came from the wrong direction he immediatly grabbed his compass ....out of curiosity. I'll be darned if during that storm that needle never did find N. Within three days a few weeks after that, 3 planes went down because all of a sudden they just didnt work anymore. One of the men was an Airforce vet who had been fling most of his life. He said he had never seen anything like it. Everything was fine, then all of a sudden nothing worked. He was able to land it so that no one got hurt.

anyway...things that make you go hmmmmm

[edit on 17-8-2005 by mrsdudara]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I agree something is going on with the feild. I have had the abilty to allways know where north was, no compus, or Gps's.

But lately i have been have problems finding my way around in new areas.

Something weird is going on. We will just have to waite and see what happens.

The thing i wounder is will electronic motors still work correctly after a pole shift. Thats the big question i have.

Zintac

Sorry about the spelling. i Have a huge head ake today.
well that and i can't spell any ways

[edit on 17-8-2005 by Zintac]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Somethings happening, but we can cope. Hopefully...

E_T

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
I doubt we could survive the lack of the magnetic protection we enjoy now...
Sure more particle radiation would reach atmosphere, but it wouldn't be end of the world. And there would be one very nice consequence... everyone would be able to see auroras, even in equator!
(This is what auroras mean)

And seafloor basalts have signs of many magnetic field flips and there's still life here.
Also it isn't anywhere strong enough to cause disturbances... and we are now talking about weaking of it!
For its direction change to cause disturbances by induction change of field would have to be extremely rapid which would have left other much more visible signs to earth's crust.
(electric motors are based to induction but remember that direction of field changes 100 or 120 times per second)

Originally posted by Zintac
I have had the abilty to allways know where north was, no compus, or Gps's.

The thing i wounder is will electronic motors still work correctly after a pole shift.
Everyone should know basic ways to tell where north/south is without any (except eyes and brains) device.

And operation of electric motors doesn't have anything to do with earth's magnetic field.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
We use GPS nowadays, if this flip occurs planes will not have a problem navigating. Nothing beats the good old paper map if the GPS sats get knocked out.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
would it matter? nope, because when it happens, It will happen fast...
and we are probably all toast during the transition... I doubt we could survive the lack of the magnetic protection we enjoy now...

I've heard numbers of about 100.000 casulties a year in a docu, caused mainly by cancer. Electrical equipment will ofcourse be effected too.. can't say for sure how much deaths this will cause, but my guess would be alot more then 100.000.
And yes the magnetic field is at this moment thinning/reversing but it won't happen fast.

I don't think it's gonna "fry" us either. Evolution of animals would show us that because the reversal of the poles happens once every 200.000 yrs. Although the last one was more then 700.000 years ago.

I believe the docu was "pbs nova magnetic storm".

And operation of electric motors doesn't have anything to do with earth's magnetic field.

No but I'm sure they won't enjoy the sun's emp(?) bombardment.
Or whatever caused the electrical failure during one of the previous solar storms a few years back.

new topics

top topics

join