It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 60th Anniversary Of The End Of WW2 In Pacific

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Japanese PM, Junichiro Koizumi, has expressed "deep remorse" for the aggression shown by his country to its neighbours during the War. He added, in a written statement that Japan "caused great damages and pain to people in many countries, especially our Asian neighbours, through colonisation and invasion. We will not forget the terrible lessons of the war, and will contribute to world peace and prosperity," Mr.Koizumi met with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko for a televised service in which Emperor Akihito (son of Emperor Hirohito) said "In view of history, I sincerely wish that the ravages of war will never be repeated,"

news.bbc.co.uk
Countries around Asia are honouring their dead and calling for peace, as they mark the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II in the Pacific.

In Japan, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said his nation felt "deep remorse" for the aggression shown towards its neighbours during the war.

Commemorative services are also taking place in other Asian nations.

But across the region, many still feel that Japan has yet to fully face up to, and atone for, its wartime actions.

The war in the Pacific, which finally ended on 15 August 1945, killed millions of people from the jungles of Burma and the beaches of Singapore and the Philippines, to the cities of China and Japan and the seas of the Pacific.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This 60th year point will most likely be the last major milestone most WW2 veterans will experience. But the sacrifice that an entire generation of men and women gave to secure our freedoms and way of life will never be forgotten. The manner in which these men and women conducted themselves is an inspiration to me and countless millions of others. Their modesty probably wouldnt welcome the title "Mankind's Greatest Generation" but its something I would readily apply. We owe them so much, lest we forget it.

[edit on 15/8/05 by subz]

[edit on 16-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This day showed me something amazing.

I'm not sure how many people heard about it, but both the North and the South of Korea pushed everything aside so they could hold a joint festivle? Including making a "United Korea" flag.

They played football (soccar) together, as well as several other sports. Allow travel between the two nations on a large scale. They pushed the problems aside so they could both share in a major part of their history.

join