It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe the mayan thing has already happened?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
FNF

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hey, im new to posting on this site, but i've been reading posts for many months.
One topic that seems to come up is this Mayan end of the world 2012 theory.
From what I understand, some people claim the world will end, some claim many people will die but the world will survive, some claim we will enter a new age of technology/thinking, and others think they couldn't be bothered to to make any more calenders.
I'm not sure I believe in these calenders and interpretations, but heres something that people maybe seem to be missing:

What if the event thats suppossed to kill lots of people are the first and second world wars? Seems logical to me, as many millions of people died indirectly and directly (that flu epidemic aswell), and before the wars Europeans used to more or less rule the world, but afterwards Europe was basically ruined and all the countries were no longer as powerfull as before, and new world powers have come into play (USA, India etc). This to me seems highly logical to be the event where many people die and the 'old world order' die. If this isnt the event that the mayans talk about, well its such a large and almost apocolyptic (spelling?) event, that the mayans must of been not that good if they couldn't predict it (yes I know its nothing to do with planets entering our orbit and all that).
Many people (including my grand-parents) who actually lived during the Blitz did think it was going to be the end of the world, and in a way, it was the end of the world as we knew it.
Now what about the new age of thinking/technology theories? Well as a result of the war, we developed many things, like computers and televisions became common, and we now have the internet. The internet allows us to communicate across the world and get any knowledge we require instantly. We also have thousands of other inventions due that we didnt before the war, and our way of thinking and how we live our lives are very dramatic differen't.
In europe, we have always had thousands of years of wars, but now we have peace among our nations, and for a European, I truely feel lucky i'm living now in europe, where i'm 99.9% sure England wont go to war with France again in my life time, and our cultures have improved so much - ignorance leads to hatered, but now Europeans travel freely and often between each others countries, its very easy to make friends with people form other countries, and almost impossible to think about them as being 'evil', let alone go to war with them.
So there you have it:
The event where millions die and the world gets changed forever drastically = the world wars.
The new technology = computers, internet, space flight, hundreds of things that have drastically changed the world.
New ideas = well thats obvious, one example is hippies. The fact that you are all discussing this stuff is something people couldn't really do on such a big scale 500 years ago etc.
New world order = (europeans and middle east are now not as powerfull as old times) USA, maybe china and india (again).

If this isnt the event thats talked about, well I don't know what is (a comet or whatever ever it is hitting earth would have to have even more drastic changes to the world than the world wars did, but I don't really believe a comet hitting earth will give us all the power to be able to metamorphasize or teleport just by thinking about it, which is the kind of drastic changes that would have to occur, for the changes of the world wars not being drastic enough).

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Explain to me how you find the cylces of the earth around the sun in realtion to the destruction of the earth as based on a calander written by a stone age tribe while Europeaners were decked out in metal in which this calendar and tribe never states as to what will happen when it ends in 2012?

FNF

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sorry Frosty I can't fully understand what your post says, sorry.
I don't personally believe the end of the world will happen in 2012, im just saying the kind of things that people are saying will happen, seems to have already happened (apart from the earth blowing up).
And Europeans basically ruled the world in the old days (ie South Americans mostly speak Spanish and Portugese), so in a way, the decendants of the Mayans merged with whatever European country took over them, and thus that country adopted these people and culture whether they wanted to or not... kind of hard to explain.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Damn i always miss out on things, now it seems I have missed the end of the world as well!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Explain to me how you find the cylces of the earth around the sun in realtion to the destruction of the earth as based on a calander written by a stone age tribe while Europeaners were decked out in metal in which this calendar and tribe never states as to what will happen when it ends in 2012?

The Mayan's were stonage?

Also were the Mayan's not using a pretty accurate calander (365) days of the year (solar) as well as a lunar calander hundreds if not thousands of years before the Europeans?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
FNF -- the Mayan calendar was pretty specific on dates.

I think you're getting a lot of stuff confused -- no surprise, given the hysteria of the True Believers who try constantly to make every day an End Of The World Event.

* Mayan Calendar - The Mayans had a lot of superstitions, including the one that the world would end every 52 years or so unless there was a huge celebration with lots of human sacrifice. You'll notice that the last time the Mayans got to do this kind of celebration was about 1590, and the world hasn't ended yet.

* Malthus - People are going to consume the world's resources and we'll all die of starvation and poisoning. Old theory, done long before the advent of education for women and birth control. Simplistic model and doesn't take into account a lot of human factors and technology.

* The Book of Revelation -- Christian literalists have been preaching that Jehovah was coming to destroy the world "any second now" for the past 2,000 years. This is based on the Book of Revelation -- a controversial book that many (including Martin Luther and some of the people who originally compiled the Bible) felt was the work of a lunatic and not true prophecy. Scholars have plenty of proof that this is just a rant against Nero (and many churches teach it this way.) However, some hold out hope for seeing all those Horrible Pagans being eaten by gigantic locusts and figure it will come just any minute now.

* The New, Improved Mayan Prophecies - The original ones were a flop, but some of the New Agers revised this with "channeled" information from Mu, Atlantis, Mars, Xena The Warrior Princess, and about every other spirit/deity/alien/whatever they could come up with. They're all predicting things will go BOOM! in 2012... and they weasel things around in a pretty weird way to get all kinds of disasters and evil fates and "cosmic revelations" happening then.

If I sound cynical, I saw this same thing happen in the 1970's, the 1980's and in 2000.

There will be disasters, and we'll still have regular flu epidemics and so forth. But they're not tied into any cosmic-mystical-superstition or religion.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
You do know that in the 17th century the calender was changed in Europe, pushing the year date back several, so its difficult to be sure exactly what year it is anymore, so the Mayan 2012 end of the world could easily have come and gone without anyone noticing.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
You do know that in the 17th century the calender was changed in Europe, pushing the year date back several, so its difficult to be sure exactly what year it is anymore, so the Mayan 2012 end of the world could easily have come and gone without anyone noticing.

You're wrong.

The end date of december 21st 2012 (13.0.0.0 in their calendar) is tied in with the cosmic event of the 'rebirth' of the sun as it passes through a gap in the milky way (happens every 26000 years of so). It is the recreation of 'the sacred tree' - the crossing of the sun's ecliptic with the galactic equator (milky way).

Use a program called Redshift and find out for yourself.

No Earthquakes, No End of World, No World War III, No Meteors. Just a cosmic event considered by the Mayans to be the 'Rebirth of the Sun'.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Really? much more interesting.

Is it going to take place in 2012? ANd how did the mayans know that we were going to change the calender?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
There is no evidence that the Mayans did know if/when we'd change the calendar.

When remnants of the calendar were found they were interpreted and the end date of 13.0.0.0 was discovered to be December 21st 2012 in our calendar.

Do some searches of the Dresden Codex.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Really? much more interesting.

Is it going to take place in 2012? ANd how did the mayans know that we were going to change the calender?

They didn't need to?

Maybe the people who found out/translated it, converted it over the current calender system we are on?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

controversial book that many (including Martin Luther and some of the people who originally compiled the Bible) felt was the work of a lunatic and not true prophecy. Scholars have plenty of proof that this is just a rant against Nero (and many churches teach it this way.) However, some hold out hope for seeing all those Horrible Pagans being eaten by gigantic locusts and figure it will come just any minute now.

Don't forget they are human-headed locusts!

Clearly, the author of that book of the Bible was out of his gourd.......

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Their calendar wasn't tied to ours (just as the Jewish calendar wasn't.) So different cultures actually have different counts of what year it is. One culture's adjusting their calendar doesn't impact anyone else's.

Remus is correct (though his post is worded a little weirdly; the sun doesn't actually pass through the galactic "opening" but its path across the sky appears to intersect with the galactic "opening." in the band of the Milky Way.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Remus is correct (though his post is worded a little weirdly; the sun doesn't actually pass through the galactic "opening" but its path across the sky appears to intersect with the galactic "opening." in the band of the Milky Way.

You know what I mean!!

Seriously though, I became a little obsessed with the whole Mayan Calendar/Prophecies a couple of years back, but the more research I did the sooner I came to understanding what it's really all about. They were astronomers, the best on the planet at the time and for at least a few thousand years to come (I doubt there are any around at this moment that truly understand the movements of our galaxy like they did).

The fact that they knew more about the heavens than we do (an 'Advanced' race of humans - note the inverted commas people) kinda gets a few people thinking that they knew when the world is going to end, hence the misinterpretation of the 2012 end date of the Mayan Calendar.

Just my interpretation anyways

[edit on 19-8-2005 by RemusUK]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
They didn't use leap years, also the calendar has been manipulated so many times that 2012 passed years ago.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Gregoriam Calendars mark time as the earth passes around the sun.

The Mayan Calendar marks time as our solar system passes through the Universe, much more accurate measure of "time".

There is nothing in Mayan culture that states the earth will end in 2012, or on any such date. Mayan concepts of time were cycles within cycles, which is accurate as well, the earth cycles around the sun, the sun around the galaxy, the galaxy around the universe.

Since we have only shreds of what the Mayans wrote, we will never truly know exactly the level of their science and knowlege. This loss is right up with the destruction of the Library of Alexandria.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I agree with FNF , But i think people just make up things to get people excited, like the world going to end in 2012 or there is going to be diseise pandemics and stuff like that.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
They didn't use leap years, also the calendar has been manipulated so many times that 2012 passed years ago.

2012 is just a number mate. As are all dates.

What I'm trying to say is that the event the Mayans recorded on their calendar as 13.0.0.0 baktun occurs on December 21st 2012 in OUR CURRENT TIME, regardless of whether our calendar is accurate or not (I'm sure we all agree that it isn't).

Originally posted by toolmaker
There is nothing in Mayan culture that states the earth will end in 2012, or on any such date. Mayan concepts of time were cycles within cycles, which is accurate as well, the earth cycles around the sun, the sun around the galaxy, the galaxy around the universe.

Pretty damn fine explaination there fella

THAT'S how time should be measured.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Many many people have made predictions after Christ's death. I think the earliest one was in 315 or something, then 1033, Thousand years after Christ's death, then many like 1645, 1843, then they corrected it to 1844, 2012? Nah. it's not going to happen.

Plus Mayans are ancient, they were older than the people who predicted the 1844 coming, they were much older. Implying they were idiotic. "Oh, but they had all these medicines and all this technology" Then why aren't they alive today? So there ya go. They're old, extinct, and had a stupid religion. End of discussion, 2012 ain't gonna happen. Especially since I doubt they even knew what year it was, how long Earth has existed, etc. etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Vinci, the Mayan's are still alive today.

Source
The Maya people are a native American people of southern Mexico and northern Central America.

There are an estimated 6 million Maya people living in this area at the start of the 21st century. Some are quite integrated into the modern culture of the nations in which they reside, others continue a more traditional culturally distinct life, often speaking a Maya language.

The largest populations of Maya people are in the Mexican states of Yucatán, Campeche, Quintana Roo, Tabasco, and Chiapas, and in the Central American countries of Belize, Guatemala, and the western portions of Honduras and El Salvador.

and

Source
The Mayan languages are a family of related languages spoken from South-Eastern Mexico through northern Central America as far south as Honduras. They go back at least some 5000 years in the Pre-Columbian era of Mesoamerica. Although the Spanish language (and in Belize the English language) is the official language of the area today, Mayan languages are still spoken as a primary or secondary language by over 3 million Maya people in the region today. In Classical times (600-800 AD) and as late as the Spanish Conquest, the language was written on buildings, pottery and bark-paper codices in a highly elaborate script now called Maya hieroglyphics.

They never died out, they never vanished they are still there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join