It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kissinger finds parallels to Vietnam in Iraq (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Henry Kissinger, one of the architect of the US involvement in Vietnam, sees a great simliarity between Vietnam and today;s War in Iraq. What he sees is the amount of division that the War in Iraq is causing in the US is parallel to the events seen in the US back in the 60's and 70's.
Support for the war has seen a dramatic drop and criticism of the way Bush is handling it has risen according to the latest polls.
Kissinger also believes that US needs to halt the spread of Radical Islam in Iraq, stating that "it would be a catastrophe for the whole world" if it fails.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An architect of the U.S. war in Vietnam more than 30 years ago said Sunday that he has "a very uneasy feeling" that some of the same factors that damaged support for the conflict there are re-emerging in the 2-year-old war in Iraq.
"For me, the tragedy of Vietnam was the divisions that occurred in the United States that made it, in the end, impossible to achieve an outcome that was compatible with the sacrifices that had been made," former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger told CNN's "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer."

Support for the war has dropped in recent polls, and criticism of President Bush's handling of the conflict has grown. The latest CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, taken Aug. 5-7, found that 54 percent of those surveyed thought the 2003 invasion of Iraq was a mistake.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many of the present stands that the US people have taken do indeed to be a rehash of what this country went through back during the Vietnam War. There is wide spread dissatisfaction with the goverment and it's leadership. There is also, and to me a very sad byproduc,t of belittling and even demonizing our troops who are over in Iraq.
No matter what your political stance is with either the present goverment, or your stance on the legality of our troops being in Iraq, let us not do to our troops today what we did to our troops back then!

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...'
Shots Fired at Protest in Crawford
WAR: Purported Al-Qaida Video Threatens Troops

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Please to those who have voted no for Bias please at least let me know why you voted this way? It would help greatly!
Thank you

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
kenshiro2012 keep up the good work dont feel disheartend

BOT, does this mean we can all look forward to another Watergate scandal any time soon? I do hope so

[edit on 15/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I voted Fix intro. To my eyes it needs to be in one paragraph and the sentence that starts "what he sees" fixed to flow a tad easier. There is no bias in your article. I got five bias votes for an article and felt the way you probably do, searched and searched looking for where i was biased and gave up frustrated in the end. People just didn't agree with my article I guess. Can't keep everyone happy.

But thats just my opinion, and I thought the story was great.

there is much parallels with history and what is happening on a global scale today.

I heard the news on tv this morning discussing the 60th anniversary of Japans surrender and the newscaster said 'and lets hope this sort of thing never happens again in the world' well guess what sunshine it is.........

[edit on 15-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Of course he does, other than the sand what's all that different as in the end - when will there be an end?

People continue to die, die and die. As I suggested before, bring in about 500,000 Soldiers, crush the 'insurgency' and move on.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Of course he does, other than the sand what's all that different as in the end - when will there be an end?

People continue to die, die and die. As I suggested before, bring in about 500,000 Soldiers, crush the 'insurgency' and move on.

I was tempted to use the expression "using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut" here but a more apt analogy would be "using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut you cant find or know what it looks like". Not very clever.

[edit on 15/8/05 by subz]

new topics

top topics

join