It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Given Sept. 3 Deadline To Stop Converting Uranium (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The Iranian government has been given a September 3rd deadline to cease the enrichment of Uranium by the IAEA. Failing to halt the enrichment process will result in the IAEA refering the matter to the UN Security Council. The IAEA seals on the Isfahan enrichment plant were broken yesterday with the full conversion process being reinstated. Iran had agreed to suspend enrichment whilst talks were undetaken with the EU concerning its nuclear fuel activities.

news.yahoo.com
VIENNA, Austria - The U.N. nuclear watchdog expressed "serious concern" Thursday over Iran's resumption of nuclear activities that could lead to an atomic bomb and diplomats said Tehran faced a September deadline to stop uranium conversion at a plant in central Iran.

The Iranians resumed work at the nuclear facility in Isfahan earlier this week, despite appeals from European negotiators to maintain a voluntary suspension of nuclear activities.

Diplomats, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to be quoted, made clear that insufficient progress by Sept. 3 could lead the board to consider reporting Iran to the U.N. Security Council, which has the power to slap the regime with crippling sanctions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This deadline, a product of the emergency IAEA meeting, is a lot harsher than I expected. The deadline is barely 3 weeks away and if broken could result in UN sanctions being placed on Iran. The facts are that sanctions will not impede the Iranians from obtaining nuclear weapons if that is their intention. It is much too late for that. Sanctions do nothing more than penalize innocent civilians with starvation and medical poverty.

Iran will not back down and I fear the September deadline will not be respected by the Iranians. They have said before that they would rather UN sanctions than back down on a matter of national pride.

Sanctions might be the spark that sets Iran on a war footing. A war footing that the Americans will not hesitate on retaliating against. Israel could play a key role in boosting American forces in neighbouring Iraq if the Iranians lash out. The soon-to-be idle Israeli troops in the Gaza Strip could well be suited to combating the Iranians if the need arose.

Will level heads prevail?

[edit on 11/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
"Will level heads prevail? "

Something has to give... Personaly Im looking forward the the events of the future what ever they be. So if its nuke war, lets get it on. If its world peice, lets stop working. If its nothing, lets keep doing nothing.

Im tired of talking and speculating, I want action what ever it may be. "Will level heads prevail?" the question really is, how long can we keep cool. A large battle is imminent. A power strugle is happening. A revolution is on the way.

I just hope for these power struggles to happen asap, the faster they start, the faster they are over.

[edit on 8/11/05 by HumptyDumpty]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You're looking forward to a nuclear war? Are you pre or post "great fall"?

Level heads will acknowledge that the Iranians are well within their rights to develop nuclear weapons if they desire. Acknowledging this fact and keeping them on side and inspected will be to everyones mutal benefit. Aggrevating the Iranians and placing our countries on a collision course with a not-far-off nuclear equiped country is not the prudent thing to be doing.

An Iran War will make Iraq look like a drive-by shooting.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Seems CNN indicates something less critical to Deadlines. Would like to see more verification on this Yahoo report.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I read something about this somewhere else i can't find the link though......sheite

This is soo much B.S, and anyone who can not see this as the lead up to war that is is, then perhaps they need their prescription refilled. Iran is within it's right's to pursue peaceful Nuclear technology, including the enrichment of Uranium. Sure this "could" be used to make weapons, then again Saddam, "could" of posed an immenent threat to international peace remember?

What's that....are those drums I hear?

Were goin to war with Iran, plain and simple. It might not be this year, it might not be the next......but it will happen. Troop withdrawal from Iraq? Where do you think they are going? Wakeup people and see what is going on, this is the same story as with Saddam.

I have to say though....as much as I hate it....I am of the same sentiments as Humpty. If it's gonna happen then let it be, and lets get it over with. I got my supplies, if I survive then I know what to do. Something is defintely brewing, everyone agrees to that, let it be done already. Is that wrong?

new topics

top topics

join