It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunglasses to Track Body Temperature?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2003 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Reuters

It sounds comical. An eye patch or sunglasses to read body temperature.
But new technology developed by a Yale University researcher aims to do just that, providing athletes with a constant reading of body temperature to prevent heat stroke and dehydration.

The wireless technology, unveiled in Singapore on Tuesday, triggers an alarm when body temperature reaches a pre-set level -- sending a reminder to sweaty athletes to guzzle water when their body gets too warm.

Giant Wireless Technology said "TempAlert" could also be used to detect diseases such as the flu-like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome that spread early this year to about 30 countries through travelers, killing hundreds of people worldwide.

REUTERS STORY

What will they think of next? Sounds like a pretty good idea, I'm sure it could be used for much more than just athletes. They could have used these in France after that massive heatwave that claimed so many lives. It also mentions that it could possibly detect SARS, I assume the disease raises the body temperature. They have had quite a bit of players collapse in NFL training camps the past few years due to excessive body temperature and a few instances the outside temp wasn't above 85 degrees.

I wonder what a pair of these cost.

join