It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Robin Cook Dies

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
He may have went back on [I do] to his wife, but show me where he went back on [I do] to his country.

I truly feel the man was [serving the people] to the best of his ability, with fervor and with passion.

That's why I can dismiss (NOT CONDONE) his personal indescretions, and focus more on [how he did his job].

Again, I'm not condoning his personal life, but then again worse has happened as a result of a [rise to power].

Just my thoughts . . . not meant to invoke a debate.

Apparently the man did his job with a commitment/passion/fervor that should be the [norm] not the [exception].

Peace to all!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Robin cook was a likable character and as mention had his ways. I respected him the most for his resignation over the war, he summed up, in my opinion, the genuine feel of the British public at the time.

Strangely i believe, although i could not find anything to back it up, John Smith the labour leader back in 1994 also died of a heart attack while out walking in the hills. Can anyone confirm this?

TB took over afterwards.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Strangely i believe, although i could not find anything to back it up, John Smith the labour leader back in 1994 also died of a heart attack while out walking in the hills. Can anyone confirm this?

John Smith died of a double heart attack, one in his home and one in the ambulance. Makes you think though, if he hadn't he'd be the Labour leader today:
news.bbc.co.uk...

When he resigned Robin Cook held the position of Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council, as well as being the former Foreign Secretary. He was one of the few senior cabinet figures to express their conscience concerning the case for war in Iraq; and one of the lesser number that put their jobs on the line.

IMO, His resignation was unsurprisingly downplayed and glossed over like the firework it was.

You don't get Foreign Secretaries basically saying your foreign policy is dangerous and unworkable very often. He will always have my respect for that.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am saddened that I only learned about this man after his death. I am encouraged that there is still the capabillity for unpartisan politics. He sounds like he was a great man.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13

He was a man who has gained considerable credibility in the UK over the last 2 and a half years.

This was my favorite quote from the original post, and I doubt many picked up on it. Basically the author of the post is saying that the man wasn't all that credible until he became "anti-war." This is typical partisan thinking, and the type of thing that has been all-too-common lately on ATS. A person's political persuasion, beliefs, and thoughts on the Iraq war are completely independent of his credibility. Such a biased statement to make, especially at the time of one's passing. You're entitled to your opinion, but now you have hurt your own credibility in the eyes of any free-thinking ATS member who reads your submission to ATSNN.

And just so you know, credibility has to do with a person's honesty, integrity, and commitment. Someone who means what they say and doesn't intentionally mislead people is a credible person. Someone with a long history of the above-mentioned qualities traditionally would have increased credibility. Merriam-Webster identifies the meaning of credibility as: the quality or power of inspiring belief.

Sorry to go off on a rant like this. I just feel it was a very ignorant and politically self-serving statement to make. I feel the ultimate irony lies in the fact that the author of the thread hurt his own credibility with the statement, in my eyes at least.

I apologise for any unintentional inference in my opening post. I'm not a professional journalist and that post was made within 5 minutes of the report of his death.

He had immense credibility before the Iraq War as a leading figure within the Labour Party and later as Foreign Secretary. I still maintain that his credibility increased since his resignation from Government.

Unlike Clare Short he was the reasonable voice of opposition to Tony Blair's Iraq policy and as such he was far more effective and credible in the eyes of the British people.

Robin Cook knew he was right and knew that as the facts emerged he would be proved right. Whereas, Miss Short and others leapt on every piece of news to critise Blair and the Iraq policy, he with great patience made his arguments powerfully and carefully.

A very clever man with great political accumen.

As for integrity, all politicians crave power. They spend their life climbing a very greasy pole to reach the top.

Give the man credit for relinquinshing that power as a matter of conscience.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

He had immense credibility before the Iraq War as a leading figure within the Labour Party and later as Foreign Secretary. I still maintain that his credibility increased since his resignation from Government.

Unlike Clare Short he was the reasonable voice of opposition to Tony Blair's Iraq policy and as such he was far more effective and credible in the eyes of the British people.

And unlike Clare Short - he resigned - rather than blowing hot air all over the tv, radio but not following through.

I didn't particurlarly like the man but when he resigned - I felt that at least here was one labour politician who had the guts to do something for the sake of principle. Perhaps it is then that my first doubts about the war arose...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
For the first time in a long time, I am actually shocked and saddened at the death of a public figure.

He was a man of integrity and honour.

RIP

Another worthy of RESPECT - he had the guts to stand up and say "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore!" Even if it meant quitting his beloved Labour Party.

We need more people like that representing us! This is a huge loss - not just for Britain.

...a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I met the man once and didn't think much of him. I supported Blair on the war in Iraq when he took my country to war because I thought he was doing it to protect the British people, I believed the speech he gave in the house of commons a few days before the troops went in.

It was the last time I will ever trust anyone in power to do the right thing. Bush and Blair lied through their teeth and thousands died. We embarked down a path of murder and dishonisty which has destroyed the credibility of the UK abroad. I realise now it was always, and always will be about the oil. There never were any WMD and to my amazement, the bastards who did that are still in power. How can people be so stupid?

Robin Cook did an honest thing. For that I am gratefull. He showed that there is still some integrity in the British political establishment. Since that time I have come to respect him for speaking the truth and having the balls to do what he knew was right.

Rest in Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join