It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I definitely think gases will be released now after reading this.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Homeland Security to conduct gas tests in Midtown, subways

newsday.com

BY BRYN NELSON
STAFF WRITER

August 5, 2005

Amid heightened anti-terrorism vigilance in New York City's subways, a mammoth Department of Homeland Security-sponsored project starting as early as Saturday will seek to answer how harmful gases might disperse through midtown's streets and the warren of subway tunnels beneath them.

The simulation, which will use colorless, odorless and harmless "tracer" gases, follows a smaller effort in March that focused on the Madison Square Garden area. This time, a team of more than 150 researchers and volunteers working on the Urban Dispersion Program's second field study will fan out over a much larger section of midtown, ranging from 37th to 59th streets and from 10th to Third avenues, and including stations along the Broadway subway line and other lines in the area.

Scientists will release the gases at four of eight possible locations above ground, depending on the wind, within an office building and on a subway platform of the Broadway line at 50th Street and Seventh Avenue.

For more information, see urbandispersion.pnl.gov....

New External Source Tags – Please Review

[edit on 1/19/2007 by 12m8keall2c]
Mod Edit: Link format edited. Please review this post.

[edit on 19-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Do you feel like this is a sign of an attack? Or just a scary test? I think they are just ding it to know what happens to beter design things to handle a gas situation.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Guy beside me on the metro released some gas this morning....

(Ohh right.. like I could resist!!)

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Is it just me or is anyone else feeling a little uneasy about all these "simulations" that are scheduled for tomorrow (the anniversery of the bombing of Hiroshima, btw) the nuclear detonation simulation in Virginia and now this in Midtown? Little creepy if you ask me...

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrfingers
Is it just me or is anyone else feeling a little uneasy about all these "simulations" that are scheduled for tomorrow (the anniversery of the bombing of Hiroshima, btw) the nuclear detonation simulation in Virginia and now this in Midtown? Little creepy if you ask me...

I agree. I was creeped out about the anniversary itself, before I even heard of these tests being conducted. This is just the icing on the cake of my paranoia. What worries me is that I live across the river, about a 15 minute drive, from Philadelphia. That city was listed as one of bin Laden's targets for his "America's Hiroshima." I've always considered Philadelphia to be a likely terrorist target, particularly for its historic significance. It's where the Declaration of Independence was written and signed, the home of the Liberty Bell, the original capital of the US, etc. Not to mention the fact that security there is VERY light compared to NYC and Washington, DC.

An interesting side story- If you ever drive to Philadelphia International Airport, via I-95 South, you will drive over several large "speed bumps" as you take the exit. I was told that these bumps were placed there to prematurely set off any truck bombs that are driving to the airport, before they can get close enough to do any real damage. Maybe its just an urban legend, but I get creeped out everytime I drive over them!

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrfingers

I would have to agree with you. I know testing is how we learn but often the most we learn comes from when the mistakes occurs. I certainly hope all goes well.

posted on Jan, 19 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I realize this is an old thread but the gas smell in NYC is suspect to me now that I think of it. They never did figure out what it was and stopped investigating the matter.

top topics

join