It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addiction of Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
i guess this fits in with 'medical issues', it'll probably get moved though

people can be addicted to all kinds of things, even the 'curry' has become an addiction to many, and other foods, as people often say fast foods like mcdonalds can become addictive.

drugs, prescription or illegal...they're all pretty much addictive. you can be addicted to a number of things. so why not religion/god?

i found various meanings of addiction:

''compulsive need for''

''to 'devote' or surrender oneself to''

when someone becomes a bishop, a priest or vicar they often talk about 'devoting' themselves to god.

going to church every sunday is a cliche that most christians stick to, and getting their fix once a week is enough for some. the mix of someone's genes and their environment i think creates an addiction to something that they cannot break free from. some people do, yet some are detined to devote their whole lives to their religion.

in the same way drugs and food addict us, so does church and religion.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
What better addicition to have than to Love, and God who created all of this and allowed it possible for us to be addcited to him in the first place? You make a great point that some addicitions are good for us. Praise God my friend !!!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
What better addicition to have than to Love, and God who created all of this and allowed it possible for us to be addcited to him in the first place? You make a great point that some addicitions are good for us. Praise God my friend !!!!!

I don't think he praising God my friend. He likening the addictions of meth, crack, oxycotin, etc to religion. I don't get a positive connotation from that. Anyway, the idea is interesting and for some it could be true.

Finding a reason for religion is on a case by case basis though and is not an addiction to many who pratice.

[edit on 7-10-2006 by Cerkit Breaker]

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I am sure he has a good point and is probably correct to some degree. Addictions are many times the product of endorphine stimulation that makes you feel good,that is not a bad thing if used properly.

posted on Oct, 23 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Religion can be like a drug to some

top topics

join