It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XM8 Rifle - Replacing M16?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I was watching Mail Call a while ago and they showed off the new XM8 experimental rifle the gov's been tinkering with. Damn, it's a beauty!

If you have seen the cover of Ghost Recon 2, that's the one.

It uses the same cartridge as the M16 and M4, and there is a little bit of talk of the XM8 being the new rifle of the US Military. It's pretty cool - you can change the stock and butt on it and swap it between a standard rifle, a carbine, and a long range support weapon. They used a lot of space-age plastics where they could afford to.

I think my favorite part is that the rifle is no longer gas-operated. (For those who don't know about how gas-operated rifles work, when you fire a bullet, the exploding gas expands and pushes the bullet out. Part of that gas travels back through a small side-tube, and it's pressure is used re-kock the gun and fire the next bullet. The problem with them is that they have to be cleaned and are susceptible to get gunked up.) Either they didn't talk about the new mechanism, or maybe I just forgot how it works.

They showed off how reliable it is - they buried completely in dirt and had a guy run up to it, pick it up, shake it off, and fire off a whole magazine. The M16 would have one helluva time keeping up with that.

On top of all this, the gun just LOOKS cool. It looks kind of like some of the German H&K's. It's got my vote.

EDIT - I had to respell re-kock that way because the censoring device thinks I'm talkin' dirty.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by trinitrotoluene]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by trinitrotoluene
I was watching Mail Call a while ago and they showed off the new XM8 experimental rifle the gov's been tinkering with. Damn, it's a beauty!

Basically its a G36 stuffed into a fish
But look at the sticky "Guide to threads in Weaponry", there are already some threads on the XM8. However I dont know whether the latest news have been discussed, that is the reopened competition for the weapon. Originally the XM8 program was considered to still be part of the OICW program, thats why the XM8 was presented as the new standard rifle for about 2 years now. However, with some "encouraging" from certain lobbies, a new competition was started this spring, named "OICW Increment 1". It called for all interested companies to submit weapon systems for evaluation that will start in autumn.

However, some belive that this will be yet another rigged competition because it calls for existing weapon systems (due to short time). That means only companies can take part that already had plans for weapon systems according to the demands. It is unsure whether other companies can submit weapons that have the high grade of inter-compatibility the XM8 already offers. The biggest problem all companies face, ATK included, is the new demand for a LMG version that offers a parts compatibility of at least 50% with the original rifle.

This is about the 5th program the US military has to create the übergun. All previous programs failed to lead to a change. We´ll see how this one turns out.

If you have seen the cover of Ghost Recon 2, that's the one.

As a tip: I wouldnt argue with reference to games in here if I were you...

It uses the same cartridge as the M16 and M4, and there is a little bit of talk of the XM8 being the new rifle of the US Military. It's pretty cool - you can change the stock and butt on it and swap it between a standard rifle, a carbine, and a long range support weapon. They used a lot of space-age plastics where they could afford to.

The real features of the XM8 are hidden. Its the astounding moddability and ease of use. Major parts can be disassembled by releasing only 2 pushpins (that then are kept in a special hold in the carrying handle). It has several mounting points where special XM8 equipment as well as rails to use existing stuff can be added. The original sights can (theoretically) be replaced without rezeroing. again, even rails can be mounted instead of the sights to add existing sighting gear. It can be cleaned in about 4 minutes, compared to the 10-12 minutes the Ar-15 needs according to standard procedure. With at least 3 cleanings a day in Iraq, this results in a timesaving of about 20+ minutes.

And even more mods are thinkable. The actual standard carbine version with 12.5 inch barrel is designed for urban environments. IF it ever comes to long-range fighst again, maybe in open field assaults, then longer barrels could be issued, or maybe the designated marksman Barrel parts could be issued to all the normal riflemen. There is no real limit.

I think my favorite part is that the rifle is no longer gas-operated. ...

No, it is gas-operated. It just doesnt inject the gasses back into the weapon as the AR-15 does. instead it uses an AK-like gas piston, ejecting at the front of the weapon.

EDIT - I had to respell re-kock that way because the censoring device thinks I'm talkin' dirty.

Funny...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Have to seen the 'compact' version?

Very nice. peosoldier.army.mil...

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Yes, it sure is a damn nice weapon... However it will not replace the M16, no the XM8 is a carbine and shall therefore replace the M4, the weapon is very light, only 5.7 pound, and it will be ready for use during 2005...

XM8

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Whatever the new weapon will be, it WILL replace the M16 and M4. Thats what the term "Standard infantry rifle" is all about

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
isnt the m468 and other weapons being tested right now instead of the xm8 or is that period over?

I wish the xm8 was 6.8mm but tis not so I say hello to my little m468

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
No, AFAIK the tests will happen later this year.

The M468 is out of contest because it does not offer the versatility demanded. And if you neglect the caliber change (which is about the least difficult thing to do with ANY of the possible contenders), about the only advantage the M468 offers is a bit more simplicity of internal structure.

And it still would cost too much. The M68 full rifle costs 2700$ according to the Barret homepage. Of course this would somewhat reduce if it is mass produced. It only has backup sights though. The XM8 is targeted at an unit cost of 1800$ WITH the advanced sight. Since the program´s goal is find a new standard rifle, there is a limit in unit costs. Otherwise, they could just consider to issue the expensive FN SCAR which was selected by the Special Forces command.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Unneeded. Does nothing better than the M16. Versatility of componant interchange is exactly the same with the M16 (two pins to remove upper assembly, exchange for longer/shorter barrel). Buttstock style is also easily exchanged on M16.

The ONLY possible advantage it may have, is the piston rod over direct impingment. But M16 can be cheaply retro-fitted with piston rod for FAR less than a complete new rifle system.

XM8 is an answer to a non-question.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I sense a bias towards the M16 Army

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
First of all, the XM8 is gas operated, although it differs from the m4 and m16 gas system in that it does not introduce propellant gases into the receiver. This greatly increases the reliability of the weapon while at the same time cutting down carbon-fouling, making it easier and faster to clean - greatly desirable characteristics in the field.

Secondly, the XM8 is not only a carbine. It also comes in a sharpshooter version with an extended barrel, an ultra compact and a light support weapon as well as the carbine versions. Furthermore, the XM320 40mm grenade launcher / 12 gauge shotgun attachment can be easily added in the field without any special equipment, making it an extremely versatile weapon.

The weapon is currently being tested in the US and, although it still must endure more rigorous testing, it has received good reports so far. Some US special forces units are so happy with the weapon they want it issued immediately - by the end of the year.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I sense a bias towards the M16 Army

LOL
No, not a bias, just a long history of shooting, studying, working on, using it on duty in Iraq, and simply playing with them, a LOT.

One of the bragging points of the XM8, is it's interchangability with different barrel lengths, by simply pulling two pins, and replacing assemblies....

....just like we have done with the Ar15/M16 since 1959.

The only thing the "8" has over the M16, is the piston assembly, which can be easily and cheaply installed on all '16's in the inventory for about 1/8th of the cost of replacing millions of complete and working rifles with a new rifle and sub-assemblies (new M16A2=$475, new XM8=$1300....new piston/barrel assembly for M16=less than $300...all are approximate of course)

M16 reliability is the concern of the user. Deny maintenance to your rifle, and it will fail you. Keep up with your PMCS, and it will fire when needed. Yes, I have seen many failures with the AK series, notably due to negligence. It is not as infallible as believed.

BTW...I do NOT think the XM8 is "cool" looking.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Army
XM8 is an answer to a non-question.

Thats why I said:

Originally posted by Lonestar24
This is about the 5th program the US military has to create the übergun. All previous programs failed to lead to a change. We´ll see how this one turns out.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Rumor has it that the military have been having so many problems with it during testing that it is a LONG way from being fielded.

For a really good new (sort of) assault rifle that is being deployed with SF right now, check out the SCAR-L. Now that's a nice gun.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
the m16 is junk I hated it when I served 5.56mm is way too light, its time to move on, its a 50 year old design!

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The M16 is pretty good, but it is time to move on; however, the XM8, while having improvements, doesn't have the improvements the military wants over the M16.

Rifles and pistols go through very strict selection criteria. That is why with regards to things like rucks and so forth, civilians can buy equipment lightyears ahead of what the Army and Marine Corps use. It isn't because the military is too lazy to get new equipment, it is just that it takes so long to test and evaluate the equipment as fit for the military.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Char2c35t

rock river arms now has models chambered in 6.8 SPC and the bone-crushing .458 SOCOM, wouldn't mind having one of those at hand.

top topics

join