It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The civilized way to beat your children?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I received many spankings as a kid, and I have yet to spank anyone (who didn't want to be spanked, that is
) in adulthood. Nor am I a violent person. Sure, children who are violently abused may learn to use violence, but spanking is not really violence. It's more of a necessary dominance....similar to the dominance necessary to train a dog, horse, etc. Spankings should not cause welts or bruising. They should just sting a little. The wooden spoon was a great tool for that. It stung like crazy, but left nothing but a red a$$. But, I should also mention that there are children who don't require spankings. There are also children that spankings don't work on. Yes, I've studied child and adult psychology quite extensively. I'm no psychiatrist, but I've been treated by enough of them to have learned quite a bit about the subject.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What can't be fixed by yelling in the ear real LOUD, loud enough to cause pain, that a slap can fix?

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr

Originally posted by m0rbid
There's mental torture that is WAY worst than physical pain.

And much more traumatizing, long term. That's just wrong. I can't remember even a fraction of my spanking punishments, but I sure can remember mental torture and the hurt that still lingers. That's sick dude.
It never goes away. A red ass goes away pretty fast.

Amen. My father has used such treatment to me (and my mom and brother) using words and phrases that I dare not mention. Sometimes for fairly petty things. It can make me totally miserable, it has also made me lose my will to live (faith in God helps me get through). I still hold a grudge that I try to let go of. I admit I have a habit of growing irritated around him, but what do you expect . I don't think it's neccesary to name-call your kids s***head, b****, a**hole, or jerk, etc. for not having paper in your printer so he can make a copy of something. And threatening to kick your kid out of the house for not telling the truth out of fear isn't smart either. Neither does it do anything except cause your kid to cry alone in their bedroom years after a few accounts...
So that's why I agree that redenning the rear end a bit is a fine way to discipline an out of control child. The guy's idea isn't too bad, but 29.95, gimme a break.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join