It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Plan Envisions Comfy Colony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
A group of aspiring Martians has drawn up detailed plans for settling the Red Planet, and is working on a cookbook that will use ingredients grown on Mars.

The Mars Foundation is proposing a settlement in the next 20 years that would start with a dozen initial inhabitants and eventually expand to several hundred.

More Here>
www.wired.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This is really amazing, I think its also worth while taking a look at this:

www.marshome.org...

I would love a chance to go and live on mars.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This is great stuff. Does anyone know if there is a similar plan for the Moon, that always struck me as the more logical destination for the next 50 years.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Can you imagine the first human actually born on Mars?

The first (maybe?) actual natural Martian?

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
wow, yes, I really like this.
Those guys at Marshome put a lot of work into this.

It would probably be a greater accomplishment than the Pyramids if they were to pull it off.
This definetly something we need to be following up on, if they are serious.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Would the reduced gravity effect how the child mature's ? Ie would the grow taller in less gravity ?

I think this is amazing and in as little as 20 years ? We could see live tv from Mars ! (Well not live because of the time delay, but live as it can be)

I wonder if they'll need barbers on Mars, everyone needs a hair cut , might just be my ticket

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
If we are shooting for mars exploration in say umm 20 years ..
Then I think the goverment will have it to themselves for atleast another 20 years before they let other private organizations explore the planet..

Who knows, maybe they are already there doing things like this??
But I read an article about it taking 2 years just to travel to Mars.
and that the longest a human has been in space is something like 340 days and he almost had a emotional breakdown. It also said that NASA has not figured out how to deal with the phycolagical problems with people that occur during long term space travel.

So I think this artical is putting the cart before the horse.
(Metaphorically speaking)

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Digital_Reality]

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Moon colony first, then Mars. Manned explorations to Mars will probably not be within the next 20 years...the outline NASA gave us indicates a Moon colony being established between 2015-2020, and Mars is simply "beyond" that point.

This is all based on politics, though. If another administration comes and says "Nope, this is not what we want," then the dream is essentially dead.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
nice finds on these two articles

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

More Here>
www.wired.com...

Originally posted by Merkeva

www.marshome.org...

something to consider, in the 1st article its stated they
(MarsHome Group)
are going to build/create a prototype colony here on earth!!
likely near a city infrastructure...and that will probably be soon.

Since, the Mars expedition is 20-25 years future, i'd be happy to try
to get into the prototype colony

there once was a project called BioSphere I & II, out in Oracle Arizona. which could be the proto-type of this proto-type??
google it up

this seems like something I could get excited about & commit to.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Good website! I have been going over their plans and it appears that they have a good grasp on what they want to build there. Hopefully these plans we be put into action in the future and not just talk.

I wonder if tunneling machines could be assembled and used to extend a base further?

Oh btw, anyone think they should be developing both bases for the moon and mars concurrently?

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Sigma]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It's an NIAC Research report about how we could setup a 500 man self-sufficient colony on mars by 2030-40s!

www.niac.usra.edu...

It's quite a lengthly and detailed report that seems to have left no stone unturned. Great Read!

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Wouldn't get too excited yet, although certainly this wouldn't cost as much if NASA was doing it, it will still amount to $billions. Unless they strike it lucky with an ecentric billionaire, this isn't going to happen.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
How do they plan to get there, hitchhike?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
We will definitely need something like that ion particle accelerator engine thing (on Deep Space 1) on steroids to get us to Mars within a reasonable time frame. Now if we were clever, we could warm the place up first so we would be able to walk around and breath the Martian air.

new topics

top topics

join