It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Major fire breaks out on Bombay Oil Platform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
A major fire broke out at an oil platform off the west coast of India on Wednesday after an oil rig collided with it, according to Indians Oil minister Mani Shankar Aiyar. Oil and Natural Gas Corp officials say rescue operations are underway to rescue as many as 200 to 300 people. Television reports said many people had jumped into the sea.

www.channelnewsasia.com
NEW DELHI : A major fire is raging at an offshore oil drilling platform in the Arabian Sea owned by India's state-run Oil and Natural Gas Corp, the country's oil minister said.

"There is bound to be some loss of life," Oil Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar told a televised press conference. He said as many as 200 to 300 people could have been working on the platform.

"At the moment our focus is on search and rescue for those who can be rescued," he said.

The platform is 160 kilometres west of Mumbai off the coast of western Maharashtra state.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Bombay High field produces approximately 14 percent of the oil India consumes and accounts for about 38 percent of all domestic production.

This is not a good thing when it comes to oil prices, I hope this will not affect the world oil market prices

Unfortunately there's bound to be some loss of life and injuries, lets hope they are minimal.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Meanwhile, the major news networks are ignoring this issue - Well....Shucks, I guess it would be "wrong" of me to say they're "ignoring" it - They're just waiting until things get really exciting I suppose

CNN

Clealry a few rednecks beating the midday heat in a "truck-pool" and drinking beer is a little more important....Not a single story on the incident from them yet...

ABC

Nothing from ABC either...

MSNBC

Looks like they've at least got first base covered with a story - Must be in need of a few more causalities before they "blow it up"

It just baffles me - Certain events cause chain reactions that blow our TVs and live-news feeds up into a second-by-second update - Other events occur and maybe 5% of the population actually hear about it

Sorry – Let me get off my soapbox here….

I hope the causalities will be kept at a minimal level, but I think this will certainly result in a shockwave that will affect our gas prices…Let’s hope they can get this thing under control quickly….

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
sounds very very bad

"There has been a major fire at around 4-4:30 p.m. on the platform BHN at Bombay High," the minister told a hurriedly convened press conference here. "The platform has been completely destroyed while a service vehicle and a nearby rig were also caught fire."

"There were about 400 people at the facility and no estimate can be made about the casualties now.

But there is bound to be considerable loss of life," (source)

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
271 people have been rescued, 20 more have been located and are in the process of being rescued (Reuters)

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Latest reports state 300 have been rescued at least 3 are dead leaving 45 others still missing.

Fire destroys Bombay High oil platform, at least 3 dead

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
BBC: In Pictures: India oil fire

"The BBC has been sent photos of Wednesday's fire on an oil platform off the west coast of India by a UK oil worker employed in the field. The platform was completely destroyed."

"Some 400 people were on board the platform in the Bombay High oil field when the blaze broke out."

"The authorities have been reluctant to say what caused the fire. Some reports say an oil rig crashed into the static platform."

"It took until late into Wednesday evening to extinguish the flames."

More picture can be found on the link provided above.

[edit on 2005/7/28 by Hellmutt]

top topics

join