It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures from today's caving (spelunking) trip.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I thought some of you may enjoy some pictures from our caving trip today. This is my youngest daughter's first time going.
Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but it is not that easy to focus in complete darkness or while holding a flashlight.

Here you go hope you enjoy.

Here is an Indiana bat sleeping on the cave ceiling.

Next is some nice rock formations, I've always called them lady fingers but I'm sure they have another name.

Here is Hopelynn climbing while Alexxi cheeses in the background.

Here is Hopelynn in water a little more than knee deep. (That water was pretty cold as well)

Here is an underground waterfall.

Here are Hope and Alexxi climbing up one of the wider passageways.

And finally here is a picture of Alexxi taking a break after we came out of the third cave. We went into a total of four caves today and unless you have experienced it you have no idea how fun it is to spend 5 or 6 hours underground...If you have never experienced it I highly reccomend that you try it at least once in your life. But go through a guided tour or find a guide because it is VERY easy for a beginner to get lost.

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by K_OS]

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What a COOL thing to do with your kids! The pics came out good too.

Obviously she liked it too. Is this the first spelunking trip for her?

P...
m...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   
We usually go hiking on the weekends, but this week I decided to take the girls spelunking... Its Alexxi's first time, Hopelynn has been through caves before but this was her first time in a "wet" cave. They had a blast, plus their mom and brother got to stay home and sleep instead of hiking 6 or 8 miles today...

P.S. these are easy caves, that is why you don't see the girls in full dress. (ie... helmets, pads, coveralls etc.)_____________________________________________
Be Cool
K_OS

arc

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
hehe those pics bring back a few memories, I haven't been caving for years. And you have a gorgeous pair of daughters

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I assume the "Paris" in your "Location" is Paris, France NOT Paris, Texas correct?

If that be the case, I had no idea there were caves like that within easy distance of Paris...

Where are they specifically?

P...
m...

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Oh man!!!!!!!

K_OS, you have succeeded in ruining my day, because now I know there was someone out having fun in karst caves, AND IT WASN'T ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

(JK)

Those are some really cool karst formations, and it does bring back some memories from college. Really wish I could come check those caves out. In Austin Texas, we have several hundred mapped and unmapped karstic caves, which range in size from smaller than a sewer pipe to as big as those you show.

Makes my weekend seem sucky

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I used to do alot of rock climbing (rather dangerous free climbing - no ropes no nets), but I've never been caving.
I've only been on a tour of Desoto Caverns in Alabama. It's not really caving though, but more them showing you one huge cave room and telling you about stuff. That does look very cool, though. I'd love it! Nice pics too!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
arc

You should go again, you almost forget how for lack of better words "spiritual" the caves are... and thank you... I think my girls are the most beautiful, but I am probably biased

Springer

Paris, Kentucky...
Caving capitol of the U.S.

To be more specific we are in Carter Caves in Carter county... They still have some wild caves that you can explore with a permit.

Dragonrider

Come up anytime. If you ever get a free weekend, let me know, if you can make it up here there are a lot of Caves in Kentucky... After all, we have the grand daddy of the U.S. (Maybe the world, would have to check that out though as I do not remember) in Mammoth Cave, There are still sections of it that to this day remain unexplored.

Saytr

Naked climbing is DANGEROUS...

If our tax refund ever comes in, I am going to replace my harness, ropes, etc. and buy my wife and oldest daughter one and we are going to get back into it... that is when we can find a babysitter for my youngest daughter and my son. You have to try caving... it is a rush, especially when you have to exhale just to fit into a crack, not knowing what is on the other side. But make sure to go with someone experienced until you get the hang of it.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
Saytr

Naked climbing is DANGEROUS...

If our tax refund ever comes in, I am going to replace my harness, ropes, etc. and buy my wife and oldest daughter one and we are going to get back into it... that is when we can find a babysitter for my youngest daughter and my son. You have to try caving... it is a rush, especially when you have to exhale just to fit into a crack, not knowing what is on the other side. But make sure to go with someone experienced until you get the hang of it.

Well, I did have clothes on. Hehehe It is a rush hanging from the edge of a rock from your finger tips, knowing that if you panic, or pause too long, you're going to be seriously injured or killed on the jagged rocks below. Some people say I'm crazy, others say I'm insane.

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Nice pic K_OS !

I don't like heights!
It looks like alot of fun ......The girls seem happy to climb...
Not their first time is it?

helen...

Looks like a great place for camping!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Mabye this is a stupid question, But do you ever have to worry about trapped gas or gas pockets that could asphixiate you when your down there?

[Edited on 8-25-2003 by Phyberoptik]

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phyberoptik
Mabye this is a stupid question, But do you ever have to worry about trapped gas or gas pockets that could asphixiate you when your down there?

[Edited on 8-25-2003 by Phyberoptik]

I am not 100% sure about the formations in KY, as I am not there, but the photos I see are definitely karstic limestone. Although limestone is sometimes a petroleum reservoir rock (which would increase the chances of any natural gas production or accumulations) karstic limestone is very unlikely to have this occur.

Karst is a weathering effect on limestone, mainly due to exposure to fresh water, that partially dissolves it, allowing such huge caves and caverns to form (along with some really cool internal formations, like stalactites, stalagmites, soda straws, ect). Therefore, a karstic formation will have very good water flow, and most likely very good air ventilation.

So, in answer to your question, I really wouldnt worry about gas accumulations, at least not in that formation.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Nice pics K_OS, thanks for sharing!

Looks like alot of fun, I have been through some guided tours in some caverns in Pennsylvania a long time ago. If I remember right, a few of them were by boat. I'm going to have to put exploring caves in Kentucky on my list of things to do.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
K_OS, hey, I thought I recognized one of those formations. Haven't been in Carter Caves in years but I'm planning on taking my son through Mammoth this fall. I guess you are aware of the drowning in Carter Caves earlier this year due to the amount of rain we had in the spring? They are beautiful but deadly at times.

I wanted to leave a link to a great page for cave explorers in KY.

www.state.ky.us...

also, an edit to add some info about Karst areas of KY.

kgsweb.uky.edu...

[Edited on 25-8-2003 by astrocreep]

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Wonderful pictures!

We're not of the age (or in the right shape) to do anything other than commercial caves or semideveloped private caves -- but we love them!

I use my Olympus digital for cave pictures -- it's wonderful and gets amazing low light photo shots even without flash.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Nice piccies.

Why do people like dark crowded slimy places?

This is the most interesting (quite challenging) commercial operation I have done (some years ago):

www.waitomo.co.nz...

The (optional) challenges include negotiating up through some tiny crevices, being pulled through an underwater section against the current while holding your breath, and scaling some unscaleable monstrosities.

Highly recommended.

new topics

top topics

join