It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opposites of Emotions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
What would you say the opposites are to the following emotions:

1) Fear

2) Courage

3) Hate

4) Love

I believe the opposite of Fear is Love. Mainly because I believe fear is the internal response one feels towards something/someone that they perceive has the power to take something/someone they love away from them. They feel fear because they comprehend the potential loss of something/someone they love.

Courage. I think courage is not devoid of fear, but illusionary at best. Courage is what one who is experiencing fear exhibits through actions and behaviours to externally proove overcoming fear. But, does fear really exist out of neccesity? Perhaps love needs its polar opposite to be fully comprehended, thus fear exists as love's polar opposite.

Courage devoid of fear would just be the external actions of someone who is ignorant of the danger. Perhaps pride then may be courage's opposite. thoughts?

Hate. I think love may be the opposite of hate. But, then that would make at least 2 emotions the polar opposite of love, wouldn't it? Perhaps love is so strong, more than 1 emotion is needed to suppress it (but not totally negate or destroy it).

Love. Love may have many opposites, because there are so many aspects to love.

heart, mind, body, soul, the chemical reaction that takes place during cellular integration of neuro-peptides produced by the hypothalmus, etc...

so love's polar opposite may be emotions that stem from the feelings associated with vicitmization.

lust, fear, hate, despair, sadness, etc ....

At any rate, your thoughts and opinions?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I'm not absolutely certain that I see these emotions as being opposites on a continuum.

What you feel you feel, and it might be judged by the primitive brain as either pleasant or unpleasant, or "good" or "bad" ... but maybe there's no need to have a mental model where these things are polar or diametrically opposed?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

What you feel you feel, and it might be judged by the primitive brain as either pleasant or unpleasant, or "good" or "bad" ... but maybe there's no need to have a mental model where these things are polar or diametrically opposed?

I hope I am not misinterpretting your feedback. I am receiving what you are implying to mean that emotions are not positive or negative, but merely base internal primal reactions to how one perceives a given situation or circumstance?

I can agree to your statement at length, however I feel an individual's state of mind and how they choose to view their reality may dictate in their mind that polar opposites might need to exist to achieve balance within.

I guess I am seeking the insight of different peoples opinions on how they would balance out emotions, in order to quantify what motivates the human spirit. Sort of like a side note to enlightenment.

Few people would argue that being happy is opposite to being sad. But, do all emotions have direct opposites. Some may not, I agree.

Rage/Anger can be an emotional state. But, is there an emotion that would calm a person's mind in attempt to negate them acting out externally their rage and anger?

I do like your response, and you may be correct. It seems to me to be a logical response. However more times than not, most things do have an anti-whatever to them, or at least words that describe its polar opposite.
Even if whatever you are talking about has no proven opposite, humanity manages to quantify what it's opposite may be. (ie: anti-gravity, anti-matter).

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Even if whatever you are talking about has no proven opposite, humanity manages to quantify what it's opposite may be. (ie: anti-gravity, anti-matter).

Perhaps to MA's point (perhaps not), I believe you'll find black & white continuum thinking a fairly recent and almost exclusively western phenom.

Even the Yin & Yang have blurred borders and make a third entity on it's own. There may be some interesting anologies to this effort in some crazy random alchemy talk.

Earth is no more the opposite of water than wind or fire, nor is it a seperate entity unto itself not comprised of the others. You're eating too much dairy. *cling*

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Even the Yin & Yang have blurred borders and make a third entity on it's own. There may be some interesting anologies to this effort in some crazy random alchemy talk.

Electron, Proton ............. Neutron?

Earth is no more the opposite of water than wind or fire, nor is it a seperate entity unto itself not comprised of the others. You're eating too much dairy. *cling*

Rock, Paper ............. Scissors?

I see your point. Just joking a little.

less dairy? Hope you're not implying I'm constipated.

Well ......

maybe cutting back on the cheese may help. Everyone is a neutrician these days.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Opposites:

Fear - Confidence

Courage - Gleeful Cynicism [like dirty cynical laughter]

Hate - (sounds cliche') Love

Love - Hate

Fear is worry, anxiety and trepidation, confidence is ease and unconcern.

Courage is almost mystical, It is like acting brave even when you are carved out by fear(s) inside. Cynicism doesn't really allow for bravery. Fakery yes, Bravery, no. Since Courage usually includes some worry its counter has to include some derisive glee or joy.
Courage acts, even when others would not. Cynicism detracts and enjoys the corroding of the actions of others, like dragging someone else down to your level.

Hate is the ultimate state of hopeless frustration
Love is the effusive overflowing of empathy

top topics

join