It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Shuttle Blasts Off.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Discovery launched in the first time in 2½ years, The shuttles were grounded since the Columbia disaster in 2003. Not only was the crew's lifes at stake, but also the pride of the US and the future of the space program. The shuttle blasted off at 10:39am while 2 chase planes and over a 100 camera's documenented the ascent from every possible angle.

news.yah oo.com
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Discovery and seven astronauts blasted into orbit Tuesday on America's first manned space shot since the 2003 Columbia disaster, ending a painful, 2 1/2-year shutdown devoted to making the shuttle less risky and NASA more safety-conscious.

At stake were not only the lives of the astronauts, but also America's pride in its technological prowess, the fate of the U.S. space program and the future of space exploration itself.

"Our long wait may be over. So on behalf of the many millions of people who believe so deeply in what we do, good luck, Godspeed — and have a little fun up there," launch director Mike Leinbach told the astronauts right before liftoff.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is excellent news for the US space program, Finally after 2 and a half years of hard work, anxiety and dedication paid off for the NASA team, this only proofs how primitive we still are, struggling to get our spacecraft into orbit.

Hopefully this will breathe new life into space exploration to the moon and even mars in the future, and hopefully many other countries will follow the US into space collabratively.

There has been increasing reports from Russia and China of their ambitions to go into space and even to the moon, Perhaps other countries will follow into space.

May this be the somewhat delayed beginning of the real space age!

[edit on 27-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
*Does NASA happy dance* this is good news indeed, our astronauts dont have to catch rides on those cramped russian vehicles

but thanks russia for your help!

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It's great they are back on the road to recovery, so to speak. But it won't be over till they return safely.

The astronauts will try out the repair kits on deliberately broken samples of thermal tiles and panels. They will practice working with goo and other patching materials and different types of brushes, putty knives and a caulking gun.

They also will spend their first full day in space using a remote-control, 50-foot boom to inspect the shuttle's most vulnerable areas — the wings and nose cap — for any cracks and holes.

If any serious damage is found, NASA will have to choose between attempting repairs or, more likely, moving the shuttle crew into the space station for at least a month to await rescue by space shuttle Atlantis, which is already being readied for liftoff.

Excellent experiments and precautions.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I'm extensively pleased with the fact the shuttle finally took off again.

I already expressed my stance on this in this newspost, thanks for upgrading people!

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Am I correct in saying that a piece of it fell off on take off?

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
How many people noticed when it broke the sound barrier? The cloud around the upper part of the ship was very clear.

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It was definitely a good site to see a shuttle once again lift off into orbit, but I can't help but think about the Columbia crews fate over 2 years ago, not to mention the Challenger. I'm not aware of what has been done to improve the Discovery besides the cameras & the wing sensors...but is that really enough? After all the shuttle technology is obsolete as they were designed over 30 years ago. Isn't it time they build a completely new design, or just continue to launch them on a wing and a prayer.

[edit on 26-7-2005 by sleepyhollow]

new topics

top topics

join