It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRA statement 'could emerge soon'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

There are new suggestions that a statement from the IRA on its future could emerge soon.

The organisation has been conducting an "internal debate" since Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams called for it to "embrace democracy".

BBC NI security editor Brian Rowan said there were new indications that the IRA's response could come within days

news.bbc.co.uk...

also, skynews has this story that i just found on their site

www.sky.com...

Since the attacks on July 7th, numerous terrorist groups have started up again, ETA, Kurdish Hawks/PPK, Hamas and i recall a member of ATS saying in chat to me whether i thought the IRA would start back up. I said no at the time, but these two news stories have left me very open minded. The chance are the IRA may disband and put an end to paramilitary, but we have to wait and see.

(the articles states no signs of an attack, heck, the IRA may disband, but im keeping an open mind about the statemet that might be issued and the chances of voilence again)

[edit on 23-7-2005 by infinite]

[edit on 23-7-2005 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
interesting!
Certainly would be a suprise if they disbanded with current events as they are

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
They cannot restart their old activities.

1) Funding has dried up.

2) The new generation are not as into it.

3) The consequences would be unimaginable.

Many of the weapons were turned over and post Sept 11th the Boston contingent have stopped funding domestic terrorism.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a couple of comments on your points

funding...... just who was it that carried out the biggest ever bank robbery in the uk in the not too distant past

recruiting......... still continuing, especially in the south of the country.

I dont really expect a return to arms, quite the reverse infact, tho if they so wished, i dont think it would give them much of a problem

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by UiNeill
a couple of comments on your points

funding...... just who was it that carried out the biggest ever bank robbery in the uk in the not too distant past

recruiting......... still continuing, especially in the south of the country.

I dont really expect a return to arms, quite the reverse infact, tho if they so wished, i dont think it would give them much of a problem

The IRA are finished. There are so many informers within their ranks that they couldn't even sneeze without the GB govt knowing about it.

The IRA only raided a bank because they are so desperate for funds.

Since 9/11 the USA does not see the romance in funding the IRA terrorists. Shame it took the USA so long.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I think you might find when it comes time to read about it in history books that the term used for the bank raid was...............

'retirement payments' lol

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I don't believe they will put an end to all activities until loyalist paramilitaries do the same, as was shown in the northern bank robbery they are still able to get their hands on funding through one way or another so they can't be that underfunded.

If those in charge are able to summon this type of money to do what they please with, where is the incentive for them to stop?

join