It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This just in: Big brains make you smart!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
And thus after many years of debate the argument has come to a close. Scientists have often wondered if intelligence has anything to do brain size and a recent study claims it does! Intelligence does not exist in one part of the brain but is spread all over. The IQ of a person will depend on how much grey matter is in their brain.

Source

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
haha, how do you make it bigger?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I dunno...read some books! Because knowledge is power!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
most muscles react to being strained

so maybe those boxers know something we dont, ha ha ;o

What I wonder is. neanderthals had larger brains than us right? did we get dumber by starting to use tools? or what happened to cuz redution in brain mass/size?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I wish you could inject grey matter into your brain.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
yeah thats like breast implants. just cosmetic, i wonder what kind of crazy brain problems you would have if you did that though

[edit on 25-7-2005 by Davood]

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Okay, I work with this guy who when he was just a kid had to have his skull sawn completely in half and an extension put in (I'm serious) because his brain was growing way too fast for his skull. He has a big Frankenstein head with the scars - they are very visible in his quickly depleting hair. He's one of the smartest people I've ever met. And I mean in about a 1000 different ways.

I buy this. Big brains are advantageous.

Now I'll take my little vaccuous head and go elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Uhuh...and I only have my brainstem left after a life of beating my head against walls.

I always figured you for one of the more intelligent peeps on ATS, but I suppose thats just my brainstem talking.

BTW...it's 'vacuous', isn't it?

(hee hee)

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Maybe this is why ETs that can travel to other solar systems have large heads?

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Valhall

Uhuh...and I only have my brainstem left after a life of beating my head against walls.

I always figured you for one of the more intelligent peeps on ATS, but I suppose thats just my brainstem talking.

BTW...it's 'vacuous', isn't it?

(hee hee)

It probably is. I always have to open up Merriam-Webster for that one. See? I've made my point.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
P.S. I bet the big Frankentein-headed guy never gets that one wrong.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I feel sorry for that supergenius frankenstein kid you know. Just imagine the hell he'll endure when school kids get wind of his situation.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
I feel sorry for that supergenius frankenstein kid you know. Just imagine the hell he'll endure when school kids get wind of his situation.

He's 40 something years old and doing very well. Whatever ridicule he lived through as a kid seems to have been properly (as would be assumed for a big-brained genius to do) put behind him. He seems to be enjoying life.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
He's 40? I skimmed all the posts in this thread and must've missed something. I thought the kid just had the operation done recently.

Well that's what I get for my ignorance.

posted on Jul, 25 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
He's 40? I skimmed all the posts in this thread and must've missed something. I thought the kid just had the operation done recently.

Well that's what I get for my ignorance.

nah it just reading comprehension. as you can see valhal clearly said "I work with this guy" so hes an adult, and "when he was a kid he had it done" so this wasnt a recent thing. And depleting hair?
over 30 maybe 40s

[edit on 25-7-2005 by Davood]

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davood
What I wonder is. neanderthals had larger brains than us right? did we get dumber by starting to use tools? or what happened to cuz redution in brain mass/size?

I think that just because they had bigger brains doesn't mean they were smarter than us. Maybe our brain cells are more efficient than theirs were, so that would mean if a homo sapien has a brain bigger than another hs, than he's smarter because there's a control there: the same type of brain cells, but you can't just judge by size if you compare to a neanderthals because there's too many variables.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I would say its kind of true, I have a friend who is like 13 4 years younger than me and his head is huge, the back skull pops way out like an Alien. He's smart alright, very good english skills too.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324
Maybe this is why ETs that can travel to other solar systems have large heads?

roflmao...

could be

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Brain Mass by Homonid

Afarensis: around 500cc
Australopithecus: around 700cc.
Homo erectus: around 900-1000cc
Homo sapiens: 950cc to 1450cc

Source: www.crawford2000.co.uk...

But...I also find this interesting:

Blacks: 1267 cm
Whites: 1347 cm
East Asians: 1364 cm

Source: defiant.ssc.uwo.ca..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> defiant.ssc.uwo.ca...

And finally...just to make you think...

Mouse: 2 g
Human: 1400 g
Dolphin: 1500 g
Humpback Whale: 7500 g
Sperm Whale: 9200 g

Source: luna.pos.to...

So maybe there was really something to the fourth Star Trek movie?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
But...I also find this interesting:

Blacks: 1267 cm
Whites: 1347 cm
East Asians: 1364 cm

Intelligence actually has closer ties to nurture then to genetics.......your brain grows when you are a child in response to the stimuli you encounter and your response to them.

Meaning: If you were stimulated as a child to read and write and think your way through problems, then those areas of your brain will be emphasized and be utilized in later years......if you are basically ignored or dealt with in a negative manner, then your mind will concern ityself less with these areas because there is no percieved reason to.

And all the variations therein.......

Originally posted by LordBucket
And finally...just to make you think...

Mouse: 2 g
Human: 1400 g
Dolphin: 1500 g
Humpback Whale: 7500 g
Sperm Whale: 9200 g

So maybe there was really something to the fourth Star Trek movie?

And since you bring it up......yes there is something to the Star Trek movie.........I'll edit in the links later (I have to retrieve them virtually from a friend), but dolphins are highly intelligent and there phonetic system is being debated in higher circles for admission as an official language......yup.....they talk. Studies have even realized that they reserve specific tones for specific dolphins......yup....they very likely have names for each other. This is supported by the structure of their brain....the area associated with audio sensory interpretation is much more developed then humans and represents their default sense...much like we rely on eyesight.

A note also on brain size.......yes a bigger brain is usually a smarter brain, but the actual detail of importance is surface area, or the number of folds a brain has. This indicates, in my humble and uneducated mind, a greater degree of association between indirect experience and allows for 'cross-indexing', or the application of a lesson learned out of it's contextual referencing.

So, ironic as this next logical assertion is statement is...

....Denser=Smarter

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join