Hi there. First of all I'd like to say a warm hello to everyone on these boards as I have just joined and this is my first post.
The past two weeks events have for me demonstrated that Bush and Blair are not winning the war on terror at this current time. Depsite armies in both
Iraq and Afganistan, these Islamic fanatics still seem able to carry out their attacks, especially in Iraq where the civilian death toll is quite
Key to Bush and Blairs "exit" strategy is for the Iraqi Army to take over operations in place of Coalition troops. Even so, the media doesn't seem
to be paying that much attention to the creation of this new army or what it can do. What I would like this thread to be is a place to assemble
information about the New Iraqi Army. Mainly:
1) Troop numbers. What is the current troop levels in the new Army. What are the projected growth rates and how long will it take to achive these
2) What is the ethnic makeup of this army. Is it mainly Shia and Kurd? Or are there Sunni units been put into action? Are regiments been mixed so that
there are no regiments consisting of one ethnic group?
3) What are the weapons/equipment used by the new Army? Are they leftover weapons from the old disposed regime or are they brand new? Is the right
equipment getting to the right people and are these weapons suitable for anti terror/counter insurgency operations? What is the composition of the
force? Is it infantry based or is it armour based?
4) How many Divisions/Regiments are at full operational strength and have asumed full control over their area of operation and are taking the fight to
the insurgents. What percentage of the army is battle ready and conducting aggressive patrols? Is there a problem with desertion?
5) What successes have there been with the army? Where has it assumed full control in Iraq and has defeated the insurgents? Is this indicitive of the
army as a whole or just an isolated case?
6) What failures have there been with the army, where have troops failed badly against insurgents? Is this indicitive of the army as a whole or just
an isolated case?
7) Arab armies have in the past suffered at the hands of poor leadership. Arab soldiers are often quite cabable but are very often poorly led. What
steps are been taken to ensure that units are been led by properly trained leaders and quality NCO's?
8) How long based on current figures till the US and the UK can withdraw from Iraq based on current figures and rates of training? I know Bush and
Blair say they will not set a date but I am quite sure they have already agreed a timetable for largescale troop withdrawl.
Now I know Iraq is a passionate subject for everyone. I don't want this thread to debate the why and why nots of the war. I would simply like it to
be a place where information to be gathered on the capabilities of the new Iraqi army so that people can draw conclusions about timescales for
I look forward to your responses