It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet Mars close obit to Earth (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
does anyone know about the date and time the planet Mars is going to appear in the sky to our naked eyes the size of our moon. I read on Comcast.Net last week of this event

i read from this source (Comcast.net) that this event has not happened to earth in 60,000 years. i was thinking about the ice age time period and all the animals living in that time. i can't recall that exact time frame, so i am concern for all of us, and of course me. could somebody explain what might happen? (gavity, axis shift, metiors).

[edit on 22-7-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sorry, but this happened back in 2003. Was also brought up on this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can google to find out more. Apparently, the was a mass e-mail sent out that has caused a lot of rumors about it. But check the date of any sources and you will see it happened in August of 2003.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
thanks for the information.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
hi Hal9000
i wanted to tell you that i just found the date of the closest that mars will get to earth is on aug.27, 2005. i still can't get the artilcle, but my wife who is good with the web gave me a email and shows the date of this event. i tried to find the source of the attachment but failed. seems no one is concerned with this event, so i will take this date lightly, and i guess we will be lucky ones to see Mars so close Earth. i can only wait and see what Mars will look like in the sky at the size of our moon, starting aug. 1,2005 thru aug. 27, 2005. and thanks for being the one to reply to my request.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The story is a semi-hoax..

You have to read the fine print.
Mars will be closer than usual.
but will still be nothing more than a very bright reddish
pinpoint of light..

[edit on 22-7-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hmm... I can't find anything except for 2003. Here is a search of Space.com

Space.com search Mars close approach

They are all for 2003. But don't get me wrong, Mars is in a good position to veiw here in the States right now. I go out and take a look whenever it is clear.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here is the correct and up-to-date info on the near approach of Mars.

Not in August, but in October; probably Halloween night will be the best time to view it.

Here is the link for the latest from NASA.

[edit on 7/22/2005 by Stormrider]

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
hi spacedoubt
thanks for the reply. i have been looking for infor. at Nasa. com, etc and found no mention of this event. i don't want to belive that Mars will be seen in the sky at the size of our moon, i have no power and helpness to prevent nor protect myslef from something like this event turning into a bad thing. i know that i would like to know than be kept in the dark, i am brave enough to accept what life has in store. i don't intent to scare no one, this is not funny. if you do have a web site that is from the sci. community, please share that with me and thanks for your time.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cal_cat
hi spacedoubt
thanks for the reply. i have been looking for infor. at Nasa. com, etc and found no mention of this event. i don't want to belive that Mars will be seen in the sky at the size of our moon, i have no power and helpness to prevent nor protect myslef from something like this event turning into a bad thing. i know that i would like to know than be kept in the dark, i am brave enough to accept what life has in store. i don't intent to scare no one, this is not funny. if you do have a web site that is from the sci. community, please share that with me and thanks for your time.

Calcat-
See my post above for the link to the info you're looking for,

Peace,

Stormrider

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
As cool as it would be, as someone stated earlier, it is a semi-hoax. There was a mass email go out about this a few months ago. Wording in the email was cut and pasted in from several articles from August 2003. I think the mistake is in the wording. The Magnitude (Brightness) of mars will be close to the moon, not the actual size. It is physically impossible for mars to appear as large as the full moon with the naked eye. If this really did happen, you better hold on to your arse, cause there would be a major upset in the balance of the planets orbits around the sun. Don't worry Cal-Cat, just enjoy the show.

Thanks

Aldarion

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Discussed to death. Try the search function. Thread closed.

top topics

join