It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Debate fixtures and Topics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The New Debate will start on Sunday when I will open the debates.
It was my intention to post up the entries but as I only have 4 it seems pointless to do so.I have seeded entries.Seeds are in brackets.

Stumpy(1) V Skadi_the_Evil_Elf(4) will debate the topic Euthenasia should be legalised.Stumpy will argue for STEE will argue against.Stumpy will open the debate.

Ktprktpr(2) V Drunk(3) will debate the topic There is no such thing as democracy in the world today.Ktpr will argue for this proposition and Drunk will argue against.Ktpr will open the debate.

This gives you all a couple of days to form your arguments before we start.

In this opening round Each debator will have one opening statement each followed by only 3 alternating replies and finally one closing statement.There will be no rebutal in this round.

As a guideline you will have 18 hrs to reply.However,I do understand that time differences and work play a role so I won't default anyone as long as the debate is moving forward.

If the Debators have any further question feel free to post here or U2U me.

Thanks and Goodluck to all.

JB1

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just wann ask if its possible to make it on Monday instead.As i wont have access to a computer on Sunday?

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:29 AM
link   
As KTPR is going first I don't think it is an issue.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Ok then thats alrite i wont be able to repond until Monday i gues.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
yeah posting on monday is fine with me. No problem.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I suppose it's a bit late in the game, but I took a second look at the topic and it's very very broad: "... no such thing ... in the world today." Was this your intent, and not a localized region, like the Western world or something?

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This shapes up as a really interesting contest.

ktpr has taken on the most malevolent appearance.

drunk has been hustling like he doesn't know his Monday comes before the uncivilized world's Monday.

stumpy has been quiet, pensive, making himself known to the few.

And then there is Skadi.

Bon fortune, mes ami.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
In this opening round Each debator will have one opening statement each followed by only 3 alternating replies and finally one closing statement.There will be no rebutal in this round.

As a guideline you will have 18 hrs to reply.However,I do understand that time differences and work play a role so I won't default anyone as long as the debate is moving forward.
JB1

JB1

These are very postive steps to streamline and avoid the drop-out rates of the last Contest, well done.

For the sake of completeness, could you restate the word limits for each type of post, for the benefit of observers?

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
( Man this site really cracks me up some times. I hope later on I can become a more positive and productive member
)

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   
John bull 1:

1. You need to state the word limits (i'm going with 250 words for opening, right now)

2. You also need to state whether democracy refers to a) Direct Democracy, b) so-called Representative Democracy or c) both cases.

Without these defintions the deabte is nebulous and will be defined in my opening statement, which is totally to my advantage. FYI my argument covers "representative democracies".

Please reply ASAP for the benefit of Drunk and I.

cheers
ktpr

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Best of luck to all contestants.

I'll see you in a few weeks.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
John bull 1:

1. You need to state the word limits (i'm going with 250 words for opening, right now)

2. You also need to state whether democracy refers to a) Direct Democracy, b) so-called Representative Democracy or c) both cases.

Without these defintions the deabte is nebulous and will be defined in my opening statement, which is totally to my advantage. FYI my argument covers "representative democracies".

Please reply ASAP for the benefit of Drunk and I.

cheers
ktpr

What we have to prepare 250 words for the opening statement? oh shoot i am screwed then!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Drunk, relax dude your freakin out!

250 words is not that much.
Your gonna be great Man!!!

Mark

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Only a few more minutes remaining before the big debate kicks off!!!!

Good Luck Drunk!!

Mark!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
From John Bull 1:
"
Both debators have the same wording.It is up to both to impose their definition on the debate.I can't narrow the definition for you.A method I've used in the past is to paste up the definition and ask my opponent to accept it.If your definition is unchallenged then Judges will assume your definition has been accepted.
"
I'm going to include both direct and representative democracy in my definition. Although, I could argue strongly that direct democracy is the only kind of democracy there is. Okay.... writing cap on!

posted on Aug, 24 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
John, can you please open the debate so I can post my shiny new entry?

edit - I have to drop someone off at work so please post veeery sooon.
edit- got it

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by ktprktpr]

[Edited on 24-8-2003 by ktprktpr]

top topics

join