It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restore Voting Rights to Ex-Convicts!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Apart of becoming a responsible citizens, Ex-Convicts, those convicted of felonies must have their voting rights re-established!

There is a bill in Congress right now; (HR 663 IH) Ex-Offenders Voting Rights Act of 2005 (Introduced in House), which will allow ex-convicts the right to vote if the bill is passed and signed into law by the president.
You can find it here:
thomas.loc.gov...:13:./temp/~c109bYDvwp::

This is the part of the bill that I completely support:

SEC. 4. RIGHTS OF CITIZENS.

The right of an individual who is a citizen of the United States to vote in any election for Federal office shall not be denied or abridged because that individual has been convicted of a criminal offense unless, at the time of the election, such individual--

(1) is serving a felony sentence in a correctional institution or facility; or

(2) is on parole or probation for a felony offense.

It's next to impossiable for Ex-felons to have that right re-instated, It is denying those that have changed and rehabilitated their proper place back into society. Especially when they have payed their debt the owed soceity.

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Another act of desperation from Democrats.

But you can't blame them, because who are ex-convicts more likely to vote for?

If you want to vote don't break the law, what is so horrible about that.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
It's not about republicans and democrats or Liberals & Conversatives. It is about civil rights. I am sure there Conservatives and Republicans that are people doing time, on parole or on probation for just about every crime.
When they get out or off parole or probation, they'll go back to voting what ever party they believe it.

It's likely that most of them, if they choose to be responsible citizens decide to vote, they'll likely vote democrat or to the liberal side. Reguardless of what their voting intentions are or are not, they right must be granted.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I do not think that right should be granted, you play you pay. You can rejoin society, but you loose that right.

Yup, desperation by the democrats, just as subverting the military vote.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
So basically they lose their rights as citizens because the community decides they don't deserve them anymore. Makes sense I guess although it sounds kind of communist to me...

Oh well guess this just goes to show what political groups in society truly support freedom and who don't. No big surprises here.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I don't think it's a bad idea, so long as there are requirements to be met. I have heard of a number of people personally, that are in that now.

I would allow them a change to earn it back, be it military service, working and paying taxes, community service, time periods of no crime, etc.

In a country of earning your way, you should be able to make a mistake and earn your place back, although it would really only work for those who cared.

I do think it would be an incentive to TRY to get back on track.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Provided is a link to www.blackvoting.4mg.com. It is a listing of all the states and what their policy is on Ex-Felon Voters.
www.blackvoting.4mg.com...">Ex-Felon Voting Rights by State

Look at Vermont. "Eligibility to vote not affected" Meaning they can vote while in Prison. Which I believe is also wrong. No voting while in Prison, Jail, On Parole or Felony Probation.

The question is; Does (HR 663 IH) Ex-Offenders Voting Rights Act of 2005, encroach on the 10th Amendment?

Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Another act of desperation from Democrats.

But you can't blame them, because who are ex-convicts more likely to vote for?

If you want to vote don't break the law, what is so horrible about that.

Are you a Christian?

If a person served their time, they should be given back their right to vote. And the process of reinstatement should not be so complicated that it would discourage someone from pursuing it. Right now, that seems to be the case. That's just plain wrong.

And I'm a Republican.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
@EastCoastKid

You can question my Christianity, because I question your claims of being a Republican and I also question your military service.

This issue is being pushed by desperate Democrats the same way they pushed "Motor Voter" (another fraud). Convicted criminals do not have my sympathy, but I would be in favor of a time frame after release from prison, say 5-10 years with no other arrests before voting rights were reinstated. I also would wave that time with service in the military.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You would trust convicts with national security?!
No wait!
That is scary.

Originally posted by Carseller4
@EastCoastKid

You can question my Christianity, because I question your claims of being a Republican and I also question your military service.

No. I asked you if you were a Christian. Go back and read my post. You are getting awfully defensive. That tells me all I need to know.

Whether or not you believe I'm a Republican and a veteran is unimportant. Just b/c you wish that something isn't true, doesn't make it so. Turn off the Disney channel.

This issue is being pushed by desperate Democrats the same way they pushed "Motor Voter" (another fraud). Convicted criminals do not have my sympathy, but I would be in favor of a time frame after release from prison, say 5-10 years with no other arrests before voting rights were reinstated. I also would wave that time with service in the military.

If you're the Christian you so obviously are, it seems like you'd be a bit more in touch with the doctrine of forgiveness. If a person serves his/her time, should they not be given a second chance? Or would you just throw them away out of some kind of misplaced sense of vengeance?

[edit on 7/24/05 by EastCoastKid]

top topics

join